Welcome Home

The complete absence of sound was the definite meaning of silence.

That meant silence made everything much louder, like the thoughts that invaded one's brain. The intrusive thoughts most people pushed to the back of their mind were screaming at her. Just minutes ago the brunette could hear the drizzling of the rain and her AC blowing cool air.

Soon she discovered that darkness and silence enabled one another. With a flip of the light switch, she heard nothing. Nothing but the thoughts she worked so hard to escape from.

Onika mastered numbness a long time ago, practicing the art of burying unwanted feelings to the point where she wasn't sure if she even felt still. With numbness came emptiness and that was a feeling she'd never be able to escape.

Onika palmed her black colored skirt, an effort to straighten it out. She admired her freshly shaved legs that were covered in oil, not too much but just enough. A satisfied sigh left her lips as she brought her eyes up to the mirror she stood in front of. She smiled, cascading her hand over her hair that was pulled up into a high ponytail.

"Perfect." Fell from Onika's glossed lips. Everything about her had to be perfect today, she had a feeling she'd receive her promposal and she wanted to make sure she looked good.

After all, she'd have the whole school's attention and most importantly the attention of the one who mattered the most. Onika smiled just thinking of her significant other, using the lash brush to apply the mascara onto her eye lashes.

"Nika!" The seventeen year old heard, she could tell by her mother's tone that she was ready to go.

"Here I come!" Onika yelled back, taking one last look in the mirror whilst tightening the top of the mascara.

She exited the bathroom and entered her room, going to grab her bag before jetting down the stairs in bliss, greeting a tired looking Carol once she reached the bottom.

"I've never seen you so happy to go to school." Carol admitted, Onika's face grew warm with embarrassment as she followed her mom out of the house. "So what's the occasion?"

Onika rolled her eyes subtly as she watched her mom lock their front door. She noticed Caiah was already standing next to the car and seized the opportunity, walking off to join her little brother.

Carol only sighed as she proceeded to meet her kids at the car, unlocking the door and watching them climb in.

"I asked you a question, Onika." Carol tried as she got into the driver's seat, Onika quietly buckled her seatbelt but she could feel her mother's eyes on her.

She let out a huff to herself, not wanting to answer the question because her mother would only speak negative of the situation. She loved her mama but sometimes she couldn't stand her or better yet, she couldn't stand the fact that she didn't support her relationship.

"It's prom season."

"And? You never seemed this excited about prom so what changed?" Her mother insisted, Carol decided she needed to take more of an interest in Onika's life. She blamed herself for Onika's little relationship, had she been more focused on her then maybe her daughter wouldn't be dating a criminal.