Chapter 15- Herald

Start from the beginning

She observed the mages. One cryo and one hydro. Not a very pretty combo for her. She also saw some hilichurl shooters, deciding to get rid of them first. She saw that the cryo one was sticking around the center, so she chose to kill the hydro one first. As expected, it teleported near her, muttering some unintelligible things. Once its shield was down, she got rid of it in an instant, then leaped down to handle the cryo one. Easy peasy.

When all of them were down, she turned to Dain, who looked slightly impressed. "Your fighting skills are commendable." he observed. She smiled and flicked her sword to clear it of the mages' remnants. "Well, thank you."

"Ruin guards sure are active around here." Paimon said. "And the Abyss Order is usually active around those machines." "No coincidence. The seeds of everything in this world were planted long ago, like your appearance in that tavern." Lumine was sure her confusion must be evident on her face, so Dain explained further. "Like I said, the Abyss Order is searching for something contained within ruin guards- the Eye of the First Ruin Guard. Though we used to call them 'Field Tillers.'" "We?" echoed Paimon.

Ignoring Paimon, he said, "The Abyss Order, and Ruin Guards, are both branches of the same plant that grew up and out." "Branches? Roots?" she asked, furrowing her brow, flummoxed.

Looking right at her seriously, he said, "Both originate from an ancient civilisation destroyed 500 years ago. Khanreia'ah." 

Khanreia'ah.

Her mouth was hanging open.  She never thought she would hear that word in Tevyat again. "Kh- Khanreia'ah, you say..." "Allow me to explain further." Dain said. "The Cataclysm of 500 years ago destroyed most of the inhabitants of that prosperous nation. The few surviving were turned into the monsters of the abyss by the gods. That is why I hate the Seven so much. They were the ones who caused this catastrophe." 

"I know about Khanreia'ah." She interrupted, with a bitter and sour taste on her tongue. She felt sick to the core. All these creatures she had constantly been slaughtering mercilessly were the very people of the nation she loved so much? "Huh?" Paimon asked. Uh oh. She very well couldn't say that she had been very well known in Khanreia'ah before it was destroyed. She hastily said, "I have memories of being there."

"Is that so?" Dain asked. "Everyone has their secrets, so since you didn't pry into mine, I won't pry into yours. I would, however, appreciate it if you told me what you remembered about the place."

______

She gave Dainsleif an edited version of the true story. "..... and then, your brother said, that the destruction of Khanreia'ah plunged the whole into chaos, and that you both should leave Tevyat? I see." "So looks like your brother woke up before you, but how long ago? Did he actually say 'The destruction of Khanreia'ah?'" Paimon mused. "Correct." Atleast she didn't have to lie about this.

"That destruction you witnessed...... it's history from 500 years ago. Barely anyone in Tevyat even remembers that name now. So, after you both tried to leave, an unknown god appeared, blocking your path?" She nodded. "I see...." "And therefore, it is the second most promising lead for finding my brother after searching for the seven." She was internally thinking that the next time she met Zhongli or Venti, she wouldn't leave without an explanation. She knew that Khanreia'ah had been destroyed by deities, but she hadn't known it was the same ones she was searching for. Paimon looked up at the sky, which was beginning to darken, and said, "Well, Paimon suggests we all rest now, and meet again in the morning. Paimon is super exhausted!" "Yeah, I never knew floating took so much stamina." She blinked. What was that she noticed? Dain's cape. It was a beautiful starry midnight color, and yet that wasn't what surprised her. 

Paimon had the same cape as him.

She would certainly have to research on that later.

_______

Back at Wangshu Inn, she found most of the decks to be empty, no doubt due to the late time of the night. She gave Paimon a bag of mora so she would make herself scarce.

When she was finally alone, she let the tears she had been holding back fall down her cheeks.

Xiao POV

It was the second night that Lumine had not returned. As he teleported to Wangshu Inn, he flicked his spear to rid it of the corrupted monsters' blood. He was definitely getting worried about her. 

As he walked down to get some almond tofu, he blinked. An all too familiar figure, dressed in pure white, with gold gauntlets, was sitting on the deck. Relief exploded in him. She was okay!

However, as he got closer, he got the distinct feeling that something was wrong. When he reached beside her, he was shocked. Was she actually...? "Lumine? A- Are you crying?" He had never, until now, seen Lumine cry, she was always so brave and strong. This was definitely not something he had wanted to see. Lumine curled further up between her hands and knees. He sighed as he carefully knelt down beside her. "Is everything okay, Lumine?" He asked. "No it isn't!" she said abruptly, her hands fisted. He took a step behind. "Whoa, calm down. What's wrong?"

"You knew about it too, didn't you?" She asked in a low voice. "About what?" he asked questioningly.

Looking straight into his eyes, she said, "The destruction of Khanreia'ah."

Shit. She knew.

( 1820 words

Alrighty guys, so the next chapter is up. I modified the storyline a bit, so Dain doesn't have to explain all that stuff since Lumine already knows about it. And to clarify, Lumine was crying, as she really loved the people of Khanreia'ah before they were destroyed, so it made her sick to know that she had been killing them all along. Coupled with the fact that she felt betrayed by the few people she was actually starting to trust[ Xiao, Zhongli, Venti] and its a bit too much for her. Enjoy reading.. Toodles! ;P)