twenty three - the return

Start from the beginning

Louis just shushed him again, pressing warm lips to his throbbing temple. "I'm not going to let her touch you again. I'm not going to let her look at you again."

Harry went quiet, leaning further into Louis's touch. His consciousness was finally starting to come back to his body: he felt the soft sheets against his skin, a welcome replacement for cold concrete and rough hands.

Even the fresh memories still seemed distant, though. He reached for them, sorting through the fog that had overtaken his brain. The peace of this room and the comfort of Louis's arms around him helped him think. Safe from the witch's clutches, her plan to separate the packs seemed even more insane than before. Harry couldn't help imagining the stress -- the pressure -- of living with knowledge of her plan. Surely, she could find another hybrid, or she would never stop searching for him. Either way, Harry couldn't spend the rest of his life wondering, waiting in the dark for the day that the ground beneath his feet trembled and cracked.

"I think you're going to have to," he told Louis finally.

"No," the alpha growled. "Absolutely not."

Harry flinched at his harsh tone, shrinking into Louis's side. With how hazy his head already felt, his mate's emotions had even more power over his own. His own body didn't trust him to know how he was feeling. If Louis was angry, growling like there was some sort of threat, then Harry had every reason to be scared.

Louis read his mind easily, and he took a deep breath, calming himself down before pressing his lips to the crown of Harry's head. "It's alright, omega, I'm sorry. We're alright."

"Why did I believe her when she said she was my mother?" Harry's earnest eyes brimmed with unshed tears. "I should've known that my mother wouldn't treat me like that. Why did I believe her for even a second?"

Louis sighed. He smoothed a hand over the top of Harry's head, cradling him close as he replied, "Think about your father, H. You've never known how a parent is supposed to treat you. It's not your fault."

"Neither have you," Harry said quietly.

"Hmm?"

"Your father. You said I've never had a proper parent, but neither have you." He paused, his lips pursed thoughtfully. "That's why we came back in the first place, isn't it?"

"Well, the pack --"

"I know you care about the pack, Lou. I know you do. But I also know that the only reason you really care about this pack is because your father does. You could've had this pack if you wanted it. You could've been Head Alpha!" Harry pointed out. "But you didn't want that -- not without your father's approval."

Louis's fingers traced the curve of Harry's side, trailing from his hip to his shoulder and back down again. Finally, he replied, "How'd you get to be so smart?"

Harry shrugged, snuggling further into his alpha's chest. "Something about being kidnapped, imprisoned, and tortured."

Even at Harry's lighthearted tone, Louis winced, his grip on the omega's waist tightening.

"And I know you," Harry added, a bit more serious now. "Better than anything."

"Yeah, you do," Louis agreed. His thumb slipped up under the hem of Harry's shirt, rubbing steadily over his mate's warm skin. "My smart omega. Always pay attention, don't you?"

Harry hid his smile in Louis's shoulder, his eyes fluttering shut again. "Love you."

"I love you."

They stayed in bed for another half hour or so, tangled up in the morning light flooding in from the window and each other. Eventually, Louis asked: