[11] finale (part 2)

Start from the beginning

Pete nods and says nothing but flips his hair.

"I just realised how weird yesterday was and I kind of wanted to apologise. It was definitely a lot to take in at once.. Like that whole closet situation, and then that thing with my dad.." I grimace. "I'm just really sorry about all that and if anything made you uncomfortable just let me know and I won't mention it again."

Pete gives me a distraught expression. "No way dude, everything is totally fine. I understand it was all totally out of your control." He pulls out his lighter from his pocket and begins fidgeting with it. "If anything, I'm kind of glad you told me. Really clears shit up and... Yeah. You can come over anytime if you'd like."

I nod in relief. Wow I'm so glad he's chill with all of that.

"That would be cool, thanks." I say.

Pete doesn't respond and instead pulls out a cigarette from its box. He places it in his mouth and begins to light the end. I awkwardly watch him inhale and puff smoke into the air.

Then he glares back at me. "By the way, you don't smoke cigs right?" He asks.

I shake my head. "Yeah, no... My dad does though. I guess I just negatively associate all that shit with him which is why I never do it myself." I explain, and Pete nods.

"Well... Wanna try one?"

I widen my eyes in disbelief. And it wasn't even because of the offer... But the way he just hands me his used cigarette as if it wasn't just touching his lips a few seconds ago.

"Oh.. Are you sure I could use that..?" I emphasize 'that' with 'the cigarette he just used' and he got the message.

"Oh yeah, sorry, I could get another one."

"It's whatever..."

I grab the cig with my fingers and bring it to my lips, inhaling the toxic ass substances before puffing a very small cloud of smoke. The inside of my mouth burns, my eyes swell up, and I begin choking and coughing uncontrollably. It kind of tasted like the smell of burnt wood.

Pete places a hand on my back for support. "Woah, (Y/N), are you good?" He asks concerningly. "I know, my first wasn't really the best either.."

I pass his cigarette back before coughing a few more times. "Wow that was fucking awful..." I cough one more time. "You guys do you, but damn, I wonder how you guys get so addicted to that shit."

Pete releases his hand from my back and doesn't respond. Instead, he continues puffing his cig.

Then it's another period of silence once again. Next thing I knew, Pete finished his cig and stamps it underneath his foot. 

I sigh, holding my face with both of my hands. Suddenly I feel a huge wave of tension wash over me, and I have the urge to throw up. What are we even doing? We're chilling at the spot alone before school and waiting for the others.. We are literally alone! I should be thinking of ways to bring up the subject of the letter I found last night. But how the fuck do I even do that. Pete is literally right there in front of me, surely, I should be saying something.. But how should I even bring it up? There's no way I could casually mention it right now, after failing to smoke a cigarette with him. 

Wait. That's it. 

Pete remains seated beside me, his hands now in his pockets. Without warning, I lean my head against his shoulder. 

"You know um.. That was my first indirect kiss." I say, my face heating up. 

Pete flinches away, and I back up in response. I watch as he covers the bottom half of his obviously beet red face with his sleeve. He looked like one of those anime catgirls you would see on nightcore thumbnails. I wasn't sure whether to take that as 'ahhh I'm so embarrassed >_<' or 'yeah no fucking way get out of here'. So I just made sure to keep my distance since he clearly needed some space.