Finding Her

~Trent~

I didn't know what to do with my life as I packed my belongings and left the house the following evening. I moved on autopilot as I put my things into my trunk and got in, resting my forehead on the steering wheel as if that would help my pounding head and the uncontrollable emotions coursing through me.

I let out a sigh. I couldn't really be mad at either of them when I thought about it. They each had their own reasons not to have anything to do with me; they were sound reasons as well, though Lynden didn't even know. I looked back up at the house before reversing out of the driveway and heading to a hotel.

I checked in and went to my car to grab a bag. Tomorrow I would need to find a place to stay. It wouldn't be a problem, just something I would rather not deal with. It would be nothing but another reminder of how much my life was going to shit by my own choices. I spent much of my time drinking at the bar, hoping to forget for a while. It would be a problem for tomorrow's Trent to solve.

"Tough night?" I turned my attention to the guy sitting on the stool beside me.

I scoffed.

"You could say that." I downed the rest of my scotch as he ordered a drink.

"The reason you're in a hotel bar looking like that must mean it's been a pretty shit day or two." He gave a laugh as he gestured to my appearance.

"I could say the same for you." I shot back, joining in on his laughter.

"Touche."

We spent the next few minutes talking randomly before he stopped.

"What is it?" I questioned at his abrupt silence.

"Let's go to a strip club." Shaun's suggestion was completely random, yet I agreed to them nonetheless.

We ended up at a club called The Red Room, and the line was nearly wrapped around the building.

"Yo, when did a place like this open up?" I asked, running a hand through my hair to make it look relatively presentable.

"It's fairly new, but word spread fast. This ain't your average club, though." He replied, leading me toward the entrance.

The line was moving quickly, so we didn't have to wait long to enter the dimly lit club.

"Holy shit." The appreciative curse slipped past my lips as my eyes scanned the room.

"Yeah. I know. Side note- this place is run by the mafia, so no bullshit." We made our way over to the closest segment of the three-ringed bar, and he rambled on about how his friend got this information.

"No." I denied as I glanced sideways, only to find him nodding to the VIP section.

I followed Shaun's gaze to the slightly raised area to find three men occupying it and several other guys who looked like they were watching for someone, acting as efficient deterrents.

"That doesn't mean they're mafia." My answer wasn't as whole-hearted as it was a moment ago as I continued to observe.

"I wonder who they're here for?" He asked and flagged down a hostess to get yet another drink.

We got a table and talked absentmindedly as we watched a few girls dancing on the platforms surrounding the dance floor. Something about the mix of actual patrons enjoying the music and the performers sensually dancing above them gave the club its own unique charm.

"Would you gentlemen like a menu?" I took my eyes off the scene in front of me and instead trained them on the waitress waiting beside our table.

"Sure," Shaun said, and the girl nodded before walking off.