~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~

Start from the beginning

She approached him and kissed both his cheeks affectionately.

"Shanaya." Archer said, sounding pleasantly surprised. He gave her a quick hug. "I thought you were working in Kenya?"

"I'm here for work-related reasons, just landed this morning." She said in her velvet-like smooth voice. "My parents forced me to come here." She rolled her eyes good-naturedly before her attention turned to me. "Who's your lovely companion here?" She gave me a breathtaking smile.

"This is my friend Fallon." Archer introduced us.

"Hi, it's very nice to meet you," I told her truthfully before giving her a shy smile of my own.

"Shanaya's an old family friend. She runs a non-profit Hospital in Nairobi." Archer explained

My eyes widened in awe. "Wow, that's amazing!" I breathed.

Could this woman be any more perfect?

Shanaya's eyes twinkled, "You know Fallon? I've known Archer ever since he was a little boy and I've never seen him bring a friend to one of these events, you must be special." She gave me a wink and I was surprised to find myself blushing at her words.

But then I remembered why Archer had really brought me here and my mood dimmed a little.

Right

Caroline Williams

I'm here as Archer's wing-woman.

I'm supposed to set him up with the girl he actually likes.

Why do I keep forgetting that?

Shanaya's eyes suddenly focused on someone behind us. She took a huge sip from her flute of Champaign. "Since I'm already here, and surrounded by people with a little too much money I might as well try to get some donations for my Hospital. Some of them might even be feeling generous enough to become long-term sponsors." I watched as she drained the rest of her Champaign and then marched towards a tastefully dressed man with salt and pepper hair with a determined expression on her face.

"She's a force to be reckoned with, isn't she?" I said in awe.

"That she is," Archer responded, he watched her with the fondness a brother would have for his sister. 

"She was engaged to my brother," Archer explained, his mood suddenly darkening. "They really loved each other." His words seemed hollow.

"What happened?" I asked softly.

"My father didn't approve of their relationship, the pressure became too much and they ended up going their separate way." He swallowed. "But Jordan was never truly happy after that."

"I'm sorry to hear that," I told him sincerely. 

"We should probably look for Caroline. She's got to be here around somewhere." I said hoping to cheer him up a little. I scanned the large hall trying to locate Caroline's familiar petite frame but came up empty. When I turned to look at Archer I was surprised to find him looking at me strangely instead.

I frowned, "What's wrong, do I have something on my face?"

He shook his head. "No nothing's wrong." He murmured. Suddenly, he grasped my hand in his. My breath hitched. Archer gave me a smirk. "Come on, I'll show you the only good thing about these parties." He tugged at my hand urging me to follow him.

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when I caught sight of the large U-shaped table located at the very end of the hall. The table was so huge it would probably span the entirety of the living room of my apartment. It was filled with all kinds of colorful foods. From sushi and whole lobsters to a chocolate fountain and cheesecakes.