We all look to the Proctor as he sighs in exasperation, "Like master, like pupil, even down to your lousy sense of time."

"Well? What about it?"

"You know you were so late that we extended the deadline for you—twice, in fact. And it's lucky for you we did, because you've just made it. No—he's not disqualified."

Kakashi laughs in relief, "Oh! That's a relief! You had me worried there for a minute." He follows Sasuke's gaze who is staring at Gaara. "So we're ok. Hm?"

Naruto tells Sasuke, "Just make sure you don't lose to this guy."

"Got it," Was Sasuke's response.

Naruto shouts, gaining Sasuke's attention, "Hey, Sasuke!! Don't lose! ... Because I wanna fight you myself!"

"Got it," He says to a grinning Naruto as the crowd bursts into deafening cheer.

I stare at Gaara when he chuckles, a crazed look in his eyes.

"Alright, Gaara! Come down here!" Genma calls.

"Come on, Naruto," Says Shikamaru as he heads for the tunnel to the viewing balcony, "they don't need us here."

"Oh, uh..." Naruto hesitates.

"Let's go! And I'm gonna take the stairs this time, if you don't mind."

"Come on! Are you still upset that I gave you a little push?!" Naruto asks before jogging after Shikamaru. "You oughtta be grateful!"

Gaara's breathing turns raspy, that crazed look still in his eyes. Don't tell me it's the Ichibi...?

Kankuro tries to remind Gaara, "Ok, listen, Gaara. Don't let him throw off the plan—" He's cut off by Temari slapping her hand over his mouth."

As Gaara turns and stalks down the stairs, Temari warns Kankuro, "Now's not the time to talk to him. Not unless you want to get yourself killed."

I narrow my eyes at them, silently wondering what Kankuro meant by that. "Plan? What plan?"

I gaze wearily after the redhead as Gaara eventually exits the balcony and comes out of the tunnel. He pauses, before going up to face Sasuke, Kakashi having gone to the stands with Sakura.

"Ok. Here we are, at last," Says Genma. "Alright. The rules for this match are the same as the Preliminaries. The match continues until one of you dies or admits defeat. However, I can stop the match, but that's solely my decision."

When Gaara gives a crazed laugh, Sasuke just arches an eyebrow. Huh. It seems as though I'm no my the only one who isn't scared of him.

"Both of you, to the middle," Genma instructs, gesturing with his hands. Sasuke cricks his neck as the two boys do just that. The brunette holds up his right arm before throwing it down. "Begin!"

Genma leaps back just before Sasuke gets into a stance. Sand pours from Gaara's gourde and Sasuke gasps before he leaps back a bit. Suddenly, Gaara goes rigid and groans in pain, a hand covering his right eye, confusing the Uchiha.

"Please! I beg you! Don't get so mad at me... mother...!" Gaara looks up with a twisted smile. Sand continues to pour out as Gaara talks out loud in a sinister tone. "Earlier, I know! I made you taste such awful blood. I'm so sorry! But this time, I'm sure, that it'll taste so very good!"

I glance sidelong at Kankuro as he says wearily, "His conversation has started already. This is dangerous."

Temari agrees, "I know. This is the first time I've seen Gaara get like that before fighting. That's how powerful an opponent Sasuke is. Watch."