Chapter 5

"Once glance and the avalanche drops, one look and my heartbeat stops..." Avalanche, Walk the Moon.

--------

Emma's POV

I came home early in the morning after Calum and I slept in the treehouse, not knowning I was going to get yelled at by my mom and dad. Turns out I had forgetten to tell them I was staying out. I walked into my room and started blasting If You Can't Hang by Sleeping with Sirens considering I was in an angsty mood. I opened up instagram to find I had 200 new followers and a ton of likes notifications. I couldn't figure out what it was from until I realized Calum had followed me. It's so weird how their fans are on things like that so quickly. All of a sudden there was a knock on my door.

"Come in," I said with a faint yell. Harry walked in my door.

"Em, I'm sorry for getting mad at you. I should've trusted you, just why didn't you tell me you were hanging out with that guy?" I could tell he was upset by the way he said 'that guy.'

" 'That guy's' name is Calum and because I didn't want you to get mad, but obviously that plan didn't work out the way I hoped." He slipped his hand into mine, and just like before the only thing I can think of is Calum and holding his hand.

"Don't worry about it. Let's just forget it," Harry looked into my eyes and smiled. He leaned forward to kiss me, but I couldn't kiss back immediately. I dont know what came over me. "Okay?" He asked.

"Yes, okay," I faked a smile because for some reason something just didn't seem right.

"What do you say, dinner tonight?" He asked. Fuck, I thought to myself. Calum had invited me to a small get together at his studio tonight.

"Um, actually, I'm going to a kick back at Calum's studio today," I said timidly and I felt Harry's hand tense up. "But you can come!" I quickly compromised even though Calum or the rest of the guys didn't know he was coming.

"Are you sure? I don't want to intrude."

"Of course I'm sure," I kissed his cheek. "The doesn't live far so we will just walk," I smiled at him and he tried to put on a smile back but his dimples just weren't the same.

-------

It was almost 6PM which was when Cal wanted us to go over. I still hadn't told him I was bringing Harry but I'm sure he'll be happy to see we worked out our issue. After almost spending the whole day with Harry, I was happy to be getting to see other people.

"Harry, we should get going," I said to him. He nodded his head in agreement. I slipped on my vans and we began walking.

"So who is going to this?" Harry asked.

"It's Calum and the rest of his band, and I'm sure some of there friends too," I replied. I could tell Harry was uncomfortable and this was not what he wanted to be doing. I was relieved once we got there. I knocked on the door to find an unfamiliar face opening the door.

"You must be Emma!" A beautiful girl with long brown hair said. "I'm Mali, Calum's sister," She said and reached out her hand to shake mine. I shook back and smiled at her.

"I am Emma! This is my boyfriend, Harry."

"Oh," she said in a surprised tone. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," he said.

"Come on in. Everyone is in the back."

I grabbed Harry's hand and walked with him following Calum's sister to the back. I scanned the backyard. There were a lot more people than Calum said there would be. I finally spotted him and let go of Harry's hand to go say hi. Harry awkwardly followed behind me. 

"Guess who?" I said covering Calum's eyes with my hands.

"Mali?" He said. I uncovered my hands and he turned around. "Emma!" We both let out a little laugh. 

"I hope you don't mind, I brough Harry." 

"Of course not!" He winked at me signalling he was happy we made up. "Let me introduce you to the rest of the guys." Calum led us to a corner where the rest of the band was hanging out with some girls. "Hey guys," Calum said interrupting them. They all turned around to face me. "Emma, this is Luke, Ashton, and Michael." They all waved at me with smiles. I smiled back at them. "And that is her boyfriend Harry," he said pointing at Harry who was hiding behind me. 

"Boyfriend? Cal I though you were her boyfriend, you guys spend so much time together," Michael said laughing. Calum smacked him on the arm. 

"No, Michael." Calum looked at me with an apologetic look. Harry squirmed his hand out of mind.

"I'm gonna get a drink," Harry whispered into my ear.

"Well this is going to be an interesting night," I said laughing to Calum. He nodded back at me.

-----

By about 9:30, I had had a couple drinks and I couldn't find Harry anywhere. I decided to get out my phone and call him when I had a message that read,

I was bored so I went home. Sorry, I couldn't find you to say bye. You were with that guy.

I hit my head against the wall I was standing against and immediately responded saying

Harry, I'm so sorry. I honestly couldn't find you anywhere. I'll see you soon? xx

I locked my phone when I saw Calum come up to me.

"Did you figure out where your boyfriend went?" He asked concerningly.

"He left an hour ago and I just read the text. I feel so stupid. Harry probably hates me now."

"I doubt that! He probably just felt neglected. If I were him, I would've never left your side." He said looking at me.

"Well, he did." I said looking at him. "Cal, I have a question."

"What's up?" He asked.

"Why did everyone seem confused when I introduced Harry? You didn't say me and you were dating right?"

"Of course not!" He said defensively. "I just, um, I talked about you a little becuase we hang out a lot." What he was saying sounded like bullshit, but I didn't care enough to question it. "I'm going to get a drink, do you want anything?" He asked. I shook my head no. Once he left, Luke came up to me.

"So, we never properly met," he said. "I'm Luke."

"Emma," I said back.

"So you and my mate, Calum huh?"

I looked at him confused. "What about me and Calum?"

"Well since you and him have started hanging out, it's been hard to get him back in the studio, or even just to hang out with us. He is also constantly talking about you."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I let out a little laugh. Thinking about Calum having feelings for me was a funny thought. He knew I had a boyfriend and I highly doubt he would ever try to ruin that.

"Since Samuel's party, you are the only thing he talks about. How gorgeous you are, how smart, how nice, but I probably shouldn't be telling you think stuff," He laughed and I felt obligated to kaugh with him.

"What are you guys talking about," Calum asked once he came back with a soda.

"Nothing," I said quickly. "Actually, I was just leaving. I'll see you guys later?" I gave Luke and Calum hugs and began to make my way out the door.

----------

Once I was finally in the bed, the only thing I could think about was what Luke was saying about Calum talking about me. Is it really possible that Calum could feel that way? He never showed any signs of it. I mean, thinking about it now, what if the reason I was getting bored with Harry was because of Calum? Thinking about Calum like this was making me nausious. I couldn't possibly like Calum and his cute smile, or the way he speaks, his hugs, or his hands. I knew this wasn't going to end well. I can't believe I had a crush on Calum Hood.