"Who is that?" Opal asked and pointed at a piece of paper that had a picture paperclipped to it. She acted as those she was afraid to touch the papers, that it would fall apart if she touched it.

I didn't answer for a moment. I wasn't sure I wanted to. I was afraid I'd have to explain myself and she'd get angry or upset and then leave me here alone. After a moment, her just standing quietly but understanding, I decided it was time to stop hiding this piece of me. I held onto it for so long without confiding in anyone. And if I could have confided in anyone - it was Opal.

"Sarah," I answered and pushed myself off the couch. I looked at the picture over her shoulder.

"She's pretty," Opal whispered and lightly traced the picture with her fingers. She slowly lowered her hand and gripped onto her other wrist.

"Yeah, she was," I replied.

She stopped asking questions. She just turned to me and wrapped her arms around my torso. For whatever reason, I was somewhat surprised. I thought that she would distance herself from me after seeing what happened tonight. But instead, there I was, my arms holding onto her as her face was pressed against my chest and my cheek on her head.

"Do you want to know what happened today?" I said after a few minutes had passed. Opal nodded but didn't remove her arms from me. Instead, she just tightened her arms around me and nuzzled a bit. I took a deep breath knowing that all she wanted was an explanation. She had an incessant need to know everything. I mean, in life all we really wanted growing up were explanations - for everything. We just aren't always lucky enough to get them. I didn't get an explanation for why Sarah would be taken away from her family and friends so early. I didn't get an explanation for why my dad bailed and my mom fell in love with the bottle. I didn't get the explanations that I needed the most.

"Sarah and I dated three years ago. We started dating when we were 22. Today would have been our fourth anniversary. She died on our anniversary three years ago in a hit and run," I said slowly. I paused and took a deep breath before continuing. "I was there when it happened."

Opal stayed in my arms. I had a lingering feeling that she could have let go and left at any second.

"I was told I let her die, because I couldn't call the police fast enough. But I- I was frozen. So since that night, every year since, this happens," I tried to keep explaining, but the memories flashed through my head again. I started to cry and held onto her tightly.

"Harry, it wasn't your fault," she said calmly. She leaned back and moved her hands from my sides to my neck.

"I should have called quicker," I whispered and hung my head. "I let Sarah die right in front of me and everyone who knew her hates me. Everyone knows."

"Harry, it was an accident. A hit and run. The person who hit her - they're to blame," she explained rationally. And I knew it was the rational thing but I couldn't let it go. Regardless of that thought buzzing in my head, I nodded and leaned my forehead on hers.

"Thank you," I muttered. No matter how many times I said it, it could never lose meaning. I will always be thankful for Opal; the way you would be thankful for a once in a lifetime opportunity.

"You must stop thanking me," she added and her hands played with the bottom of my hair as she backed her forehead away from mine. I gripped onto her t-shirt and tried to pull her closer to me.

"I don't want to. Because for all that you do, all that you are, people should be thankful for you," I answered honestly. I couldn't stop the words from falling from my mouth.

"Tell me, you couldn't share this with me sooner? For why?" Opal questioned, her eyes full of openness and acceptance to whatever I was going to say next. She looked over her shoulder and her eyes glanced at all of the different newspaper clippings and papers.