Chapter 9

Harry said that the reason for his outburst was that he was just tired, and surprised I was going back home. I didn't buy it, not a bit. There was too much else dancing behind his eyes that completely gave him away. I thought about asking him about it, but after that weekend I decided against it.

It was the following Thursday. It wasn't a long drive back so I wasn't too worried about it, but I knew that I would still need a decent amount of snacks - for myself and Belle. Lydia said she wanted to meet my 'fur child' so she invited her to come along. I had everything she'd need stacked neatly on the counter by her crate ready for the next day.

I had packed a few things already since I was essentially going to leave right from work. 'Leave work, pick up dog, go see Lydia'; that was my Friday evening. Harry and I made plans to hang out though before I left so he made sure to have Thursday night off so we could watch a movie and have dinner at my apartment. I suggested going to his house, but he turned that idea down quickly. Bummer.

"Do you need anything for tomorrow? I'm at the shop," Harry offered over the phone. I looked at my list and told him no. He then proceeded to list the sweets he chose and said he'd be over in a bit.

I plunked down on the couch and texted Lydia about her plans for this weekend and what needed to get packed still. She responded about a few things and I eventually put my phone down and grabbed my laptop to make sure it was ready for whatever movie we would bicker over.

Belle had been curled up half in my lap, half on the couch, her head in the direction of the door. Her head lulled to the side as I scratched her ear and she nearly fell asleep. I had to wake her from her slumber though when there was a knock at my door. Benny must have been at the door down front and let Harry in without needing to press the intercom.

"Welcome," I said as I opened the door for him. "What movie did you choose tonight?"

"I went with 'The Matrix'," he said and handed me the movie. I rolled my eyes and he furrowed his brows at me. "It's a good one!"

"I'll be asking you questions," I pointed out to him. He chuckled and made his way to the kitchen counter as I made my way back to my couch to get the movie ready. I put the movie in and waited as he meandered around my kitchen.

He acted as if nothing had happened, which I mean, was a fair play and I went along with it. Ideally that was what we would do - just forget about it and move on. So, we tried. And did. But I still wanted to know more.

I wanted to know why he was so upset, or whatever it was that he felt. I hated to sound like someone super nosey but who was I kidding? Nosey's my middle name. I told him the biggest skeleton in my closet and he hasn't told me a single thing yet. I know that he moved here when he was a little older and that he lived with his mom after his dad left. I understood the feeling.

But that was all I was aware of and I knew for a damn fact that that wasn't all.

"C'mon, slow poke!" I teased and pressed play. I heard my refrigerator shut and I turned around to see him walk towards me, his large hands carrying multiple things. He plopped down next to Belle and I and handed me a beer that he cracked open for me. I mumbled a thanks and took it from him happily. Silence fell over us as our eyes focused on the computer screen.

I barely focused on the confusing movie. I'd steal a quick glance at Harry, look down and watch Belle, and think about what kind of secrets Harry kept in his head. I also thought about the lack of packing I knew Lydia had done.

When the credits began to roll down the screen, I shut the laptop and turned to Harry. His eyes were drooping and he looked so tired yet resistant to sleep. I smiled at the sleepiness, only to get a half smile in return as he laid his head back onto the couch.