Chapter 4

I had finally gotten back to my apartment with enough time to change into something more me before Harry got back for dinner. Work day two was fine. I still haven't seen Paul in the office, and David was getting to the point of almost letting me file paperwork on my own. You know, knowing where to put this form that has a name on it in the sea of other alphabetically sorted forms is a really difficult thing for me to do.

As I stood in my kitchen and drank a glass of wine to take the edge of the night off, I looked out the windows and thought about Hairy, the hairless cat we had for a year. I always wanted pets growing up. I offered my parents time and time again that I'd take care of the animal, but they never budged. I thought about how it would be nice to get a dog or cat for my own apartment - a dog probably being a better choice so the apartment was "protected" while I was gone. I thought about it a bit more and made a rash decision to call down to the front desk.

"Front office," a young voice answered.

"Yeah, Kev? It's Opal. I was wondering if I can have pets," I asked. I traced shapes on the countertop with my fingers.

"This is a pet friendly complex, but you'll have a monthly fee on your rent," he explained. "You'd be the first tenant to have a pet!"

"No promises yet," I responded and chuckled a little. "Thanks, Kev." I hung up the phone that was on the wall next to the intercom and went into my room to try and determine what I would wear. Harry recommended we go to a certain restaurant but didn't share what the dress code was. I picked up my phone and tapped on Harry's name.

"Hey I'm on my way," He said on the other end.

"Do you know any pet stores in town?" I asked him. It was silent on the other end. "Is that a no?"

"Why?" He asked.

"I want a dog," I barely explained and played with the hem of a dress I was thinking about wearing. "Also, what do I wear tonight?"

"Just, something more than casual. No t-shirts," he said as if that would help me.

"You're no help. See you soon," I said quickly and hung up. I tossed my phone onto the bed and sat down, staring blankly. I was trying to determine if I would get a dog or a cat, if I would wear pants or a dress. Lots of decisions had to be made.

Suddenly my intercom buzzed and I let Harry up regardless of my current state - bralette and sleep shorts. I unlocked the door and after hearing a knock, I shouted for him to come in.

"You should really keep your door locked," Harry called to me while I was in my bedroom.

I scoffed and called back, "Am I supposed to dress fancy?" I had the door cracked open and Harry knocked once on it. I told him to come in and he immediately stopped in the doorway. I looked over at him and pointed to my closet. "I'm stumped."

He immediately started to apologize for coming in while I was changing and I waved a hand at him. "Harry, you're fine," I told him and leaned on my closet doors again. "It's a bralette and shorts. I saw you without a shirt on. Twice. Call it even."

He chuckled and sat down on the edge of my bed and that's when I took in what he was wearing; black pants, a silk red button down that wasn't buttoned all the way, and a black jacket. My eyes lingered on his chest as it peeked out from behind his shirt and I quickly cleared my throat and went back to trying to find something to wear. He said a dress and heels would do fine, so I told him I had decided and he left the room.

I changed into a tight sleeveless grey dress. I put on one of my black blazers, cuffed the sleeves, and tied my strappy heels. I checked myself in the mirror and couldn't help but tilt my head at the girl that was staring back. I was no longer the Opal that grew up under Paul and my mom's roof in a small suburban home. I am the Opal that lives in London in her own apartment. All on her own. Just like how my dad would want it.