Vol. 1/ Chapter 2: Two satellites

Começar do início

“Huh, I thought this place wouldn't be modern... Turns out I'm wrong.” Lee muttered as they drove past food establishments. It was like the Earth he used to live in before the virus ravaged it. It was like the Earth everyone lived in.

He spares a glance towards Alpha, who was also amazed by the town. She was even smiling, oblivious to the fact that it contrasted her killer personality. As much as he wanted to make a retaliatory joke about it right now, he just let it slip, since seeing her be a normal teenager for once was a rare sight.

Lee smiled as he caught sight of a souvenir shop, but was soon replaced with a frown. It almost dawned to him that this was Earth, which made his heart ache a bit. He was in here, away from the fighting, away from death and the detestable virus, while his friends and comrades are busy fighting for humanity's last hope.

It just felt wrong somehow. What did he do to deserve this kind of escape? Why was he made to take a breather from the fighting while Lucia and Liv and the rest of Babylonia get to stay behind and suffer? Don't get him wrong, it's not that he despises to have peace and quiet, it's just that he thinks it's unfair for him to be in here.

The others fought just as hard as he did, so why didn't that portal open up on top of the others and suck them in here too? Why him, who's just amongst the many constructs and soldiers fighting to recover the Earth. It just made no sense at all. Lee could only sigh as he leaned on the car's chair, still contemplating about it.

As they drove closer to Jane's house, she began to feel a bit estranged. She spared quick glances to the rearview mirror, observing the two former strangers she picked up a while ago. She was utterly surprised to learn that they aren't from here, since only a few foreigners venture out in far away towns like Hillock.

And to add to her surprise, they were genuinely unfamiliar to their surroundings, even the name of this very country seems new to them. Both of them had this weird vibe around them that she wanted to address. They seem too calm and composed given their vague explanation about how they got here.

‘Did I just picked up two, well experienced teenagers?’  Jane internally thought.

No, either they were really good at making their true intentions, or they were genuinely lost. She knows that she picked them up out of goodwill, but still, she berates herself for not being careful.

Glancing back at the rearview mirror to check on her passengers, she noticed that they both had a small frown as they stared outside the car window. Their expressions were subtle, yet true. Were they confused? Were they sad? Jane doesn't know, so she decides to take a hand on the wheel.

“So... Are you two hungry?”

Alpha and Lee stared at her back as the question filled the car. Seconds past, and silence still reigned over the two of them, not knowing whether they are hungry or not.

“Oh, uhh, we're absolutely fi–”

GROWL

gRuMbLe~

Lee's smile froze in place as he slowly turned his head to the side. There, he saw that Alpha was most likely about to answer the same thing, but her stomach says otherwise. Her mouth was left hanging open as the grim reality of the situation dawned unto her.

“Pffft... Hahaha!” Jane couldn't control herself as she bursted out laughing. “Oh, I'm sorry, it's just I was hungry too! Now that Alpha is also hungry, we can all make a stop to a restaurant or diner.” she wiped a handkerchief on her teary eyes.

“S-Sure. You don't mind?” Lee said, trying his hardest not to laugh as Alpha was already close by his aide. She was giving him a sidelong glance that made him rethink his entire life.