There Will Be Leftovers

Present day...

"OK, I'll go with you to your brother's place," Kajsa said, their eyes locked.

She slowly lifted her hand and tucked one heavy and smooth coffee-coloured curl behind his ear.

"Let's eat." His voice was low.

He moved away from her and turned to the sink. Kajsa jumped off the counter - and had to grab to its edge, suddenly unsteady. A surprised laugh burst out of her.

He gave a questioning glance. He'd already put his spectacles back on and was standing, their plates and one glass in his hands.

"You make me weak in my knees," Kajsa announced blithely and picked up the second glass. "We do need to eat. Where's your brother's place?" she asked, walking towards the table.

"The County of Fleckney," he said, following her.

Kajsa faltered and looked at him over her shoulder.

"I spent three years in secondary there," he explained. "My brother went back after uni and got married. His husband is local."

"Isn't it where the Holyoakes are from?" she asked, sitting down. "John and his brother."

"That's how I met them."

Kasja was so distracted by the growing sense of excited anticipation to learn more about Danny Carter - and even to even meet his family - that she didn't realise that he'd poured them wine and was now peering at her attentively. She gave him a questioning look. His face remained just as impassive - and then she understood he was wondering why she wasn't eating.

"I'm sorry, I was waiting for you to plate your food first," she said with an embarrassed chuckle. "It's a habit. Too many formal dinners in my past, I suppose."

She picked up a large platter with what she knew was called mezze - an assortment of appetisers, including two large bowls, one with tabbouleh, and the other one with fattoush.

"Funny enough, this is the second time in the last fortnight that I'm discussing Fleckney with someone," she said, sending a forkful of the bulgur salad into her mouth. "Oh, it's delicious!"

He nodded and then raised one eyebrow. By now, Kajsa had learnt that that was his way of asking her to elaborate. His manner of communicating didn't bother her at all, although she often wondered these days if there was anything that could affect this man enough to make him chatty or even ramble.

"Two weeks ago I was introduced to John's cousin, Roy Amaratunga. The actor," she explained.

Carter nodded again. "When I knew him, he was Rupert."

Kajsa laughed softly. She dipped a piece of flatbread into muhammara, took a bite, and hummed, savouring the perfect balance of flavours.

"He's a celebrity now," Carter murmured and lifted a lid off a large glass dish. "Pilaf?"

"Yes, please." Kajsa watched him plate her food. "I'm quite a fan. I saw a few of his plays on stage, and some of his past roles are very good. Did he grow up with you too? He's a few years younger, isn't he?"

"I wasn't close with the Holyoakes at school," he answered in an even tone. "Will contacted me when he was enlisting. Later, we were on tour together in Iraq."

"Were you in active service then?" she asked, and he lifted his eyes at her. "I know he was, but I wasn't sure about you," she continued. "I remember John mentioning you started your career in IT in the army. Do military computer scientists participate in combat?"