Chapter 14: A Rude Awakening

Start from the beginning

Just because she wanted to kiss Blyke, her boyfriend was a cripple for life. She knew that her and John were close, but who was to say that now it would stay the same.

Sera could very well see John in a different spotlight and have a changed view of him now. It was very unlikely, but was still something she was forced to think about now.

Oh and of course, how could she forget the most important one of them all. John. How different his life would be now as a cripple.

He was a late bloomer, but that didn't mean much. She's seen how lower tiers in Wellston get treated and it's disgusting. Remi would always try to break up any fight, but couldn't monitor every single fight.

For all she knew, John could be a target for people to bully now. No matter how much he trains to defend himself, there will always be people like Zeke that will show no mercy and hunt you like prey.

Wellston was a cruel place, but the world as a whole was even worse. There was discrimination and that was obvious. The lower tiers got the worse jobs and got paid less while it was the complete opposite for the high-tiers.

John now didn't have a chance of getting a nice job and settling down and it was all her fault. For the rest of her life, she would be guilty of taking his ability away.

Remi had no idea when it started, but she started crying. Blyke heard a sniffle, and like a dog when they hear a noise, he turned his face to see Remi hugging herself, crying next to John.

The red-head got up from the pavement and slowly walked towards Remi, trying not to disturb her. When Blyke sat down next to her, all he could hear was her repeating the same words over and over again.

"All my fault. All my fault. All my fault." Blyke had to comfort her in some way, so he put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her in closer. Remi slightly jumped and looked up to see Blyke's golden eyes filled with concern and worry.

She rested her head on his shoulder and continued to cry like it was her last day on Earth. Blyke had somewhat of an idea of why she would be like this and to be quite frank, he felt the same way.

Thinking that John had most likely lost his ability all because of him was stuck in his mind and it seemed it wanted to linger for some time. Still, he needed to be strong for Remi. He could cry all wants later, but right now he needed to hold it back until he's alone.

They both stayed silent in the cold night, just hearing cars occasionally pass by and hear Remi sniffle her congested nose, trying to breathe. There were now no stars out and the moonlight went through the dark clouds, ready for rainfall.

This all felt surreal to them. Both of them thought that they were basically invincible from the world. Blyke and Remi had always been confident in their ability to defend themselves when necessary as they were above average level wise.

It was always 'Yeah that happened, but it'll never happen to me.' The first time either felt something like this was back when Rei was in the hospital.

For the first time in their life, they felt vulnerable. Like at any moment, your life could be taken away. That gave them a quick reality check, but it didn't do much. That could never happen to them as they weren't vigilantes, so that was a different situation.

However, now this was a concern for them. Spectre was not someone to be messed with. They targeted anyone that was a at least a high-tier , which included Remi and probably Blyke too as he was there when they were fighting.

Both an elite-tier and a high-tier got outclassed by a couple mid-tiers. That would be absurd if you had told someone, but it was nothing but the truth and that scared them.