x. 12.20.1977

"It was a big big world, but we thought we were biggerPushing each other to the limits, we were learning quicker." - Lucus Graham, 7 years 

Tuesday, December 20th, 1977

"Are you excited for tomorrow? I have a surprise for you when we get on the train. I have something to tell you about before we get there." James says, though the question he asks me as we walk arm in arm towards Slughorn's christmas party. Though it is more than legitimate, neither of us is even remotely excited for the likely to be torturous event, and we're doing anything we can to put it off. James ended up asking me about a week ago to accompany him and, against my better judgment, I agreed.

I don't regret it. Yet. That's a big part of it.

"To get away from school or to go to your house?" I ask.

"Both."

"Then yes. I'm excited to have a break from school and I'm especially excited to meet your mom." I say, finding great enjoyment in his small blush. He knocks on the door to Slughorn's room quickly and it swings open to reveal an already stumbling potions professor, no doubt already tipsy. According to James, these christmas parties are notorious for being the only time and place in the castle where you can actually get free booze, without breaking the rules.

"Ah, Mr. Potter! Miss. Lupin, so happy you made it! And together, nonetheless! How exciting! Come in, come in."

"Thank you for inviting us, Professor." James says politely, handing the man a small parcel of fancy chocolates he'd purchased from honeydukes the other day on a trip to get me sugar quills, my favorite. Remus had also recieved from chocolates from the trip, though I took them back when he said something stupid about how James shouldn't be buying me candies.

"How kind of you, dear boy. And Miss Lupin, I find it rather pertinent to inform you that your brother is attending this party as well. You two seem to be rather keen on avoiding him these days." He observes, clearly having noticed more over the past months than I thought.

I send James a slightly panicked glance, watching as he looks around the room for my brother, though he's nowhere to be seen yet. Still, I drop James's arm quickly, ignoring the loss of warmth and reaching for a glass of champagne from one of the fancy tables they've got set up.

There are considerably more people here than came to the slug club meeting a couple of months ago, including several other slytherins, a few ravenclaws, and one particular red-headed gryffindor of interest.

James catches sight of her before I do, immediately placing a hand on the small of my back. "Lilys' coming over here. Just... follow my lead? I don't know." He whispers, panic stricken in my ear, chuckling as I down the whole glass of champagne in one go and slip the glass back onto the table behind me, empty but for a few drops of the bitter golden liquid.

"James, it's nice to see you!" The red head insists, holding onto the arm of a considerably taller man with chin length, black hair and a long, pointy nose. I recognize him from my potions class, though he doesn't seem to recognize me so I don't say anything about it.

"Lily, Severus, it's nice to see you as well. Have you been introduced to Miss. Lupin, Severus?"

"I don't believe I have. How did he manage to rope you into this, Miss?" Snape questions, glancing at me curiously.

"We agreed to come to these things together ages ago." I lie, shaking his hand rigidly. "I don't think I've had a class with you in ages, Lily, how are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm well. I turned seventeen a couple of weeks ago, so that's particularly exciting. Are you seventeen yet, Cornelia?"

"It's Ophelia, actually. And no, not until March."