ix: 10.30.1977

"Would you lie with me and just forget the world?" - Chasing Cars, Snow Patrol

Sunday, October 30th, 1977

"Ten points for Gryffindor!" Davie shouts into the microphone from several towers away, commentating for the game that seems to be working out in our favor.

I watch closely as James perks up slightly across the field, his eyes fixated on something I can't see.

We're about half way into the game at this point, and Gryffindor has been utterly beating Ravenclaw's ass. Flying faster than I ever thought possible, James has won at least fifty points for the red and gold team, grinning ear to ear at his adoring fans every single time.

I've never seen him look so natural in all of the time I've known him. Before this, I didn't really like going to quidditch games. From the time I started hogwarts, I thought them to be a massive waste of time, though watching James zoom around the field, hitting the quaffle to his teammates as if his life depends on it, I know I've been missing out on something important to him.

Unsurprisingly, Gryffindor wins the game and hundreds of students go running out onto the pitch to either console their friends or, mostly, to clap James and his teammates on the back for a job well done. Once it calms down a bit, Remus offers me an arm and walks with me towards where James and Sirius stand amongst their friends, excited to have won a game.

James's eyes latch onto me as soon as we break through the crowd, his smile seeming to grow slightly as he launches himself towards me, nearly knocking us both over with a massive hug.

"I'm glad you're here." He whispers to me, so quietly I almost think he doesn't say it at all, though the familiar tickle of his breath on my neck tells me otherwise.

"Paws off, Prongs." My brother chastises after a moment, grabbing his collar and separating him from my arms, though Remus's mood doesn't seem to have an affect on his friend's graceful, slightly lopsided smile.

"Fuck off, Remus." I find myself saying, jumping right back into James's warm embrace without thought. He holds me tightly, his arms wrapped roughly around my torso. "Good job, Jamie. You did amazing."

"Jamie, huh?" He jokes, though there's a slight questioning air behind his humor.

"You call me Cupcake, I'm calling you Jamie."

~☾~

"Phelia, we have to go." he insists, watching me try to tie up my boots for about the fifth time tonight. Every time we get on our way towards the great hall, I manage to trip over the long laces and end up untying them all over again.

"I know, I know." I say, tying them one more time and shoving the knot into the tall boot, along with the strings hanging from it. I do the same with the other before chasing after him, each of us hurrying towards the halloween feast.

"So... McGonagall will be taking names on who's staying here for Christmas pretty soon. You're not gonna change your mind on me, right?" He asks jokingly, though part of me knows it isn't entirely a joke.

"No, I'm not going to change my mind."

"Good. Now pull that necklace out from under your shirt and let's get to the feast, we're going to miss it."

~☾~

"How did you know I was wearing the necklace?" I find myself asking as I take a seat on one of the many couches adorning the common room. Normally i'd sit across from him at the chess board, though right now I'm achy and tired and I just want to lay down. My fingers move up to my neck absentmindedly, feeling for the dainty chain which holds the sunflower charm he bought me.