Prologue

October 31st, 1981

Okay, so I know it looks bad. I didn't mean to, honestly I didn't. It was an accident, I swear it was, but I mean-.

It's a bit iffy, to say the very least, but finding myself in the arms of one James Potter is a mistake I don't regret making, not at all. In fact, he's the one mistake I've never once wished didn't happen. Sure, I've wished over and over again that we were older, that he wasn't who he is to my brother, to my family. I've wished that I never picked up that job at the Three Broomsticks and I've wished that he and his friends weren't so insistent on keeping their routines up and coming to the pub every single Saturday, even when they're not supposed to. I've wished that my brother didn't fully believe that every man who came close to me was going to break my heart and try to ruin my life.

God, I've wished over and over again that my life wasn't what it was, but never once have I wished I never met James Potter. Never once have I wished he didn't come into that damned bar every saturday and never once have I wished that I didn't fall in love with him. Even now, staring down the worst man alive, a man I've dedicated my life to trying to stop, as he holds his wand to my neck, ready to kill me, I could never wish I didn't have James Potter in my life.

And as I take what i'm sure will be my final breath, positive that my husband, the love of my life is likely already gone into the next world, my only thought is for my–