vi, smile and wave

chapter six

chapter six

OLWYN LAURIER WONDERED how she ever survived these games? Especially since the scrawny teen only had Haymitch's cryptic responses and her father's warped teachings as her guide. She could see it written all over Peeta's face; the fearful confusion mixed with the real desperation to understand it all. It reminded her of herself, her annoyingly stubborn sense of curiosity aiding her tremendously in her games. Then again, right now she doubted she was much help, more concentrated on putting some sort of fruit jam on her toast. Olwyn interjected from time to time, sometimes throwing looks at her mentor, but otherwise she simply observed.

"You'd freeze to death first", Haymitch explained to Peeta, pointing out the different scenarios that awaited the baker's boy in the arena. It seemed Haymitch was assessing how truly clueless his mentees were. Though he would never admit it, the man had been truly blessed with Olwyn; a quick-learner with useful survival skills. It seemed everything fell into place that year, the almighty combination of Olwyn's hidden talents, as well as her general likability, were far more valuable than strength or age, and it made her the obvious winner to those with a trained eye.

"No, because I'd light a fire", the Mellark boy reasoned, earning himself a pitiful laugh from Olwyn. The girl finished chewing the mouthful of toast she had shoved into her mouth, her elbow leaning on her placemat before she began to speak, much to Effie's dismay. Still, Peeta hung onto her every word. Her wisdom was unmatched; more tactical, more useful, more reasonable than Haymitch's. The old man may have had the experience, but Olwyn had the talent.

"Lighting a fire", she hummed. "Sounds like a great idea, you could roast marshmallows, sing a few songs and... oh yeah, attract some crazed teenager with a machete to your immediate vicinity", the girl blanched, making Haymitch snort and nod, pointing his teaspoon at the young girl. It seemed everything Peeta thought was right would end up with his face flashing across the sky. "That is a good way to get killed", Haymitch pressed in support of the girl's interjection.

"What's a good way to get killed?" To the group's surprise, Katniss Everdeen had snuck her way into their carriage. While both males faced her, Olwyn preferred to focus her attention on putting jam on a second slice of toast. She could feel the Everdeen girl looking at her, almost willing Olwyn to look towards her. But, Olwyn wouldn't crumble, her eyes set on her own breakfast and Peeta's head of sculpted, blonde hair.

"Oh, joy. Why don't you join us?", the older mentor greeted, his tone sarcastic yet blank. His hand reached for the teapot, pouring a cup of tea for Olwyn and himself. The younger girl nodded, the only form of a 'thank you' Haymitch would get. "We were just giving some life-saving advice", he furthered, fingers nabbing a piece of Olwyn's toast off her plate. She didn't even react, plucking herself another from the endless pile.