Captain's Orders

Chapter 7: Captain's Orders

I went to meet with my superiors a few days later to discuss my future with the SSR at their secret base in London.

I had been nervous, but it had been nice to wear a real uniform again. I had returned to feeling like a true soldier, like I was exactly who I was meant to be. I sat in a large room, where people were all working around me. The Colonel and a few others had asked to meet me here. I had told them about the map of Hydra's bases and they wanted me to tell them everything I knew.

"I don't care if the Senator is blowing his fuse. This soldier saved hundreds of lives, we are not just going to send her back to be his damn pinup girl." I heard the Colonel's voice sound loudly as he came into the room. He was followed by several people, including Agent Carter and Howard Stark. I stood at attention as they entered.

"Sir he wired this morning and he seemed very adamant that she should be put back to work with the USO." An assistant responded hurriedly.

"Well, you wire him back and tell him that she will be put to real work and we will give her an actual promotion." He turned and looked at me, a sarcastic grin spreading on his face. "How does that sound, Captain?"

I'd had few moments where I'd felt prouder. The whole 'Captain America' title had been nothing but a stage name, not a true rank.

"I'd be honored sir." I burst out.

"Have a seat Captain Rogers." Colonel Phillips motioned to me to have a seat at the large table. "I want a full report." He crossed his arms and I could see Peggy smiling vibrantly as I relayed everything. I also gave them a list of every base I'd seen that Hydra had on the map.

"We'd like to create a team to take down the Hydra bases. We would like you to be in charge of the operation." Peggy smiled as she suggested.

I nodded. "Who would be on the team?"

Just as as the words exited my mouth, Hodge came into the room. He smiled at me slightly but his face turned red the moment Colonel Phillips turned to him.

"Well if it isn't the tights wearing dancer himself?" The Colonel chuckled. "The Star Spangled man with a plan, what is your plan today?" He continued.

Hodge didn't respond, just continued blushing. His shoulders ascended towards his ears and I prayed someone would explain. Did it have something to do with the tights statement?

"How'd you get him to wear the tights?" Stark leaned closer and asked me laughing vivaciously. His statement confirmed it had something to do with the tights statement. 

"I'm confused." I admitted knitting my eyebrows together. 

"Private Hodge here decided he wanted to see what it was like to be Captain America." Colonel Phillips said with a laugh. "Gave your whole performance. He knew every word."

I was shocked. I suddenly was imagining what I'm sure everyone else had seen. I also imagined what the audience was probably like, they was a high probability that they were incredibly unforgiving.

"Hodge." I blurted out. "That was so brave." I stood up and shook his hand. "I owe you one Hodge."

"Call us even my friend." He said back shaking my hand.

"I was actually going to suggest that Private Hodge be the first member of your team." Colonel Phillips laughed.

I smiled at Hodge, "If you are willing?"

"Hell yes." He responded excitedly before becoming more formal. "I mean of course, anything for Captain America."

"The rest of the team is up to you Rogers." Peggy interjected, her eyes soft but excited. "I am sure you had a few ideas."

"I do in fact." I responded.

Many of the men, including Bucky had also been brought to London to either be sent home, or await new orders. I'd gotten to know quite a few of them and I realized that I would like several to join the team. I'd sent word out to the men I wanted to ask, that I wanted to meet at a small pub in London.

Bucky and I were at a table waiting for them to arrive that cool night. I had of course asked him to be apart of my team. We also agreed it would be best to keep the romantic side of our relationship quiet for now. It may not be seen as appropriate for him to have a public relationship with his team leader.

"So what do you think?" I asked nudging Bucky before I took a drink. "Are you ready to follow Captain America?"

"No." He chuckled. "I'm ready to follow that little girl from Brooklyn who couldn't run away from a fight."

I smiled, remembering why I loved him. I looked away noticing some men had walked in the door. They weren't the men we were waiting for. 

"Just promise me that you are keeping the corset because you are a bombshell." Bucky joked quietly under his breathe. I was surprised by his comment, he'd rarely spoken in a risqué manor to me before. I realized why he thought he could say it. 

I laughed before leaning closer to him. "I can hear in both ears now."

His eyes widened at the realization. He laughed a little. "Really?" 

I nodded. "This isn't a habit you've had is it?"

"No, of course not." He said looking away from me. 

I raised my eyebrows at him as he turned back. 

"Alright, I've been building up the courage to tell you for years and it was easier if I knew you couldn't hear me." He admitted. 

I felt blood rush into my face before I took another drink. "Actually, I was going to keep the corset, it's grown on me. I'm ditching the tights though."

"What a shame." He jested this time to my face as a soldier entered the restaurant. It was the mustached man who had told me about Bucky. I had sent word that if anyone knew his name or his whereabouts I wanted to thank him. I was also going to offer him a position on the team if he had any interest. Anyone who refused to leave a man behind, was a man I wanted on my team.

I stood to shake his hand. "Thank you for meeting me here."

"Anything for Captain America." He shook my hand back. "Corporal Jonathon Peterson at your service Mam."

The name sounded familiarly through my mind and I couldn't help myself. "Wait a minute, are you Kate Peterson's husband?"

"Yes mam." He looked confused as his eyes darted around. "How do you know my Katie?"

"We worked together." I admitted, still in shock. She'd be so happy, he was alive. She wouldn't be alone anymore. "She's Dr. Erskine's daughter, and without her I wouldn't have been chosen to be Captain America."

"No fooling? My Kate?" He asked frantically. A large smile cascaded across his face. 

"No fooling." I insisted.

"I'm so sorry." My joy quickly shifted. "About your father in law."

"Yes, I was informed about his death." He nodded, his face also dropping.

"Are you being sent home?" I interjected.

"I was, but then I was told you wanted to speak with me." He said back aggressively. "Rumor is you are setting up a team."

"Rumors are correct, but I only called you here to thank you for saving my best friend's life." I lied, partially. She needed him home. 

"Your best friend?" Jonathon asked.

"Yes, the man you told me about being trapped, it turned out to be my best friend. You saved his life." I confessed. "And I want to buy you a drink before you go home. That's why you are here."

"I'm willing to stay." He insisted strongly. "I'm willing to fight."

"I know." I nodded. "But if I can do anything to repay her, for everything, you need to go home."

He nodded. "Understood." He had a small smile though. "If it's Captain's orders, I will go home."

"Yes." I smiled along. "It is Captain's orders." 

He walked back with me to the table where Bucky thanked him. We bought Jonathon a drink while we waited for my full team to arrive.