Chapter 10: The Trick About Falling

Jessica collapsed to her knees. That fireball took a lot out of her. She was just relieved to see Pike healing Scanlan. And Percy. Everyone congregated around Scanlan. He had managed to banish the duergar general not that long ago. He should be making a comeback here before too long.

And her suspension would be proven correct. The duergar general did reappear about a minute or so later. Percy held his hand to Jessica. She went over, and settled into his side. His hand rested lightly on her back.

The general appeared in the middle of the group, and looked around in what Jessica could only describe as surprise. Before the general could lunge and attack, Keyleth had him bound with her vines. Vax walked up to him and placed the tip of his blade to the general's throat.

"We can do this the easy way or the hard way." Vax pressed the general.

The general spat at the ground. But Vax pressing in his blade had the duergar talking. At least some.

"The halfling isn't here." He hissed.

"Then where?" Jessica asked in undercommon.

"Why would I answer a whore such as yourself?" He asked her back.

Vex immediately had her bow drawn and ready to shoot. "I'd watch your manners if I were you." She cooly replied.

The general grumbled something inaudible. Jessica for the moment was just glad Percy couldn't understand undercommon. She'd had a feeling that the general would be shot through the head immediately.

"Where was the halfling taken?" Jessica asked again. She stepped out of Percy's embrace and walked next to Vex'ahlia.

The general glared at her but finally answered. "She was delivered to King Murghol in the Emberhold."

"See," Jessica smiled. "Was that so hard? Now. About K'Varn."

"You're out of your goddamn mind child. You don't need to know about that monster."

Jessica sighed. "I thought we were really getting somewhere. Clarota." Jessica looked over as the illithid was suddenly at her side. She looked up at him. "Your turn."

The party watched as Clarota penetrated the general's mind, and after some blood loss from the general's end, he finally gave up the information.

K'VARN WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR FORGING THE ALLIANCE. FOR CENTURIES AND GENERATIONS, HIS PEOPLE AND MINE KILLED AND FOUGHT. IT WASN'T UNTIL K'VARN CAME THAT WE DECIDED TO WORK TOGETHER FOR A COMMON CAUSE: EXPANSION, UNIFICATION, DOMINION OVER THIS LAND AND THESE MOUNTAINS. DIVIDED WE WERE WEAK, PETTY, GREEDY. WITH K'VARN LEADING US, WE HAVE PURPOSE, WE HAD GROWTH, WE COULD TAKE WHAT WE LIKE. AND I'M BUT ONE DWARF; IF I FALL HERE, MANY MORE WILL TAKE OVER WHERE I FELL. I HAVE NOT SEEN K'VARN PERSONALLY. WHAT I KNOW OF K'VARN: A BEING OF IMMENSE INTELLIGENCE, A CREATURE THAT NEEDS NOT WALK THIS EARTH, ONE THAT DOES NOT TOUCH THE LAND OF WHICH IT TRAVERSES. I KNOW IT SEES ALL, IT SMILES FROM A TOOTHY MAW AND LAUGHS—LAUGHS IN THE DARKNESS. PROTRUDING FROM ITS FOREHEAD, ONE NASTY GNARLED BLACK HORN. A TERRIBLE SOURCE OF ITS DARK POWER. THAT IS WHAT'S BEEN RUMORED.

The voiced was horse and almost unrecognizable from what Jessica had heard the general speak. Everyone looked around giving each other horrified looks. Percy grabbed Jessica's hand, pulling her back to him.

"Is there a way into the Emberhold without being seen?" Jessica asked a few seconds later.

"Yes. In its side. Under the lava. But I do not recommend it." The general breathed heavily. Jessica could tell that he was wearing down.