myth - VI

--Bastet--

I wander through the vendors, staring up at the ceiling. The blue light seems so soft. Focusing on the ground, I walk through the tables of one vendor.

I bump into something. I look up, startled.

That something is a girl. She has straight black hair and angular blue eyes. She has multiple piercings dotting her ears and dark dark eye circles. She looks rough, in an elegant sort of way.

"You're pretty," I say, completely unaware of my words. The girl smiles at me. "You won't believe this, but you're the second person I've run into today."

"I believe it. You look startled," she says. She has a voice like velvet. I laugh, heat spreading to my cheeks.

"Oh I am." I hold out a hand. She takes it. "I'm Bastet. They/them. My friend told me not to tell anyone my name here." She shakes my hand and chuckles.

"I'm Thorn. She/they." She licks her bottom lip. There is a cut there. She furrows her dark eyebrows. I let go of her hand as she starts to tighten her grip.

"Sorry, I just noticed your eyes. They're gold." She puts her hands on my face. Their hands are icy cold. She pulls my face closer, her breath icy. I bet they can feel how warm my face is. She searches my eyes.

"You know, my friend said that too. Everyone acts so weird about it," I say as Thorn squishes my cheeks. My chip clacks against my teeth. She lets go but doesn't back up.

"I don't see why anybody shouldn't," She says. "Where's your myth, Bastet?" I shiver at the way Thorn says my name.

"I don't have myth," I respond. Thorn frowns.

"But you're a Gold-Eyed," she says. I furrow my eyebrows.

"Get out of here," Someone hisses. Avery steps next to me and crosses her arms. She stares at Thorn.

"Hey, it's okay," I say, my brows still drawn in. Avery searches my face.

"What did she say?" Avery asks me. I shake my head.

"It's okay." I turn to Thorn. "I hope I'll see you again, Thorn." They grin.

"I hope I'll see you too, Bastet," she says, and turns away. Avery watches until Thorn is far away.

"You told her your name?" She hisses. I feel the heat bubble up in me. Avery isn't telling me something.

"What's a Gold-Eyed?" I hiss back. Avery slaps a hand over my mouth. She keeps it there for a second. She sighs and backs up.

"Let's go to dinner," she says. "I have a few things to explain to you."

"Obviously!" I shout, throwing up my hands. It doesn't attract attention. Avery purses her lips and leads me out of the Solar Market.