just don't die - IV

TW: mentions of d..th

--Bastet--

"What's your name?" I ask.

"What does it matter," the woman says, leading me into a shop. Picture frames and knick-knacks are scattered everywhere.

The woman leads me to the counter. She taps her fingers on the cream surface. The man behind the counter has copper eyes. His smile is like a festival con.

"Just give me the money," the woman says. The man slides over a bag, his eyes flicking across her body. She snatches it, soft clinking muted by the dark velvet.

"What's your name?" I repeat.

"Avery," she says, checking the coin pouch. "Let's go." Avery leads me out, grabbing my forearm.

"I'm Bastet and I use they/them pronouns. What about you? Also, what about my eyes? And how old are you? I say twenties."

"Are you going to interrogate me forever?" She snaps.

"You interrogated me," I retort.

"I asked you what city you're from," She hisses.

"You know we called them Four Towns."

"Whatever. Sorry I used the wrong pronouns, really. She/her. You'll find out. Nineteen." I chuckle. She's only nineteen. I thought she was twenty-two at least. Probably her stern looks.

"I'm fifteen. Almost sixteen." I say. "Where are you from?" Avery takes me down a turn into a shaded lane. For a minute I think I've been tricked. I yank my arm away from her, my feet digging into the ground. Avery laughs and keeps her stride.

The long alley leads to a double-door building. She pushes it open and smugly smiles at me.

I walk through to a warehouse filled with tables. Each has something different. People shouting prices behind them. Skylights tinged with the smoke of wraps and skies stained with the dampening light of blue. Footsteps pound in my ears. It shakes my skull.

"Maylea. And welcome to hell," she says, patting me on the back.

"What is this place?" The tall ceiling makes the barking voices louder. Metal beams hold it up. A man at a vendor waves fire from his fingers at a woman looking at his merchandise. She backs up and curses.

"The Solar Market," Avery says, slinging an arm across me.

"Isn't this the place you told me specifically not to come?"

"Just don't talk," Avery says. She walks forward before smacking the back of my head. I take her advice as she leads me to a table in the farthest corner. We weave between bodies of sweat and heat. My teeth clench as we move.

Blue lights hang over the vendor. People stare at Avery as she walks up to the counter and tosses the bag of coins to the person behind. They catch it and spill out the coins.

"Go walk around, kid. Just don't die," Avery says, still watching the person count the coins.

I turn around and breathe.

------

hey yall,, happy first week update!!! be prepared for varying lengths in chapters lol