𝟸. sᴏʀʀʏ, sᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇ ǫᴜᴇsᴛɪᴏɴ

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It was a normal day in Jordyn's, oh-so-normal life. She sat on a bench in the hallway next to the stairs, laptop on her lap. Weirdly enough, Leo and Adam just walked past her and the latter hadn't acknowledged her despite looking at the girl. Furrowing her brows, she focused back on the numbers on her screen. He probably just hasn't paid attention to his surroundings, Joe thought. Writing another line of code, her concentration was suddenly broken by a kid yelling.

"Shut it, squat-mug!"

Jordyn looked up to find two teens talking to a short girl who was wearing a bright pink cardigan and a matching headband in her dark hair. With the glasses and her apparent attitude, she reminded Jordyn of principal Perry.

She observed the situation in front of her with raised brows, watching Mini-Perry knock the books out of the girl's hands. Upon closer inspection, Jordyn recognized the two teens as Adam's siblings. Before she could dwell on the now passed scene, her phone rang.

Joe shut her laptop while looking at her phone to see Adam be the caller.

She quickly picked up, "Hey. What's up, Add?"

"Heyo, just making a Nacho volcano. Wanna see?"

"Wait a second, where are you?" Joe sighed. "Don't tell me you're in the cafeteria. The lunch ladies won't let you off as easily again."

"Buckingham Palace will live on in our hearts forever," he announced ceremoniously while putting his free hand on his chest. "Anyway, don't worry. I'm currently at home and watching over the people of Jalapeñia."

"At home?" She stuffed her laptop into her backpack, stood up and shouldered it. "I'll call you back."

Adam looked at his phone when Joe hung up on him but just shrugged. A few seconds later, he took a photo and sent it to her. Then, he called Leo to check up on his duplicate.

Meanwhile, Jordyn was on the way to the cafeteria. Once arrived, she scanned the tables for her tall friend and found him sitting next to Leo, a tower of sausages in front of him. Joe took a look at her phone, making sure that she didn't just imagine the call. What is happening? He must have lied about being home, she thought.

A notification from her phone made her snap out of evaluating the situation. It was a selfie of Adam next to a nacho volcano with cheese inside. Her gaze returned to the table with Adam who was now talking to someone on the phone.

Joe frowned, trying to make sense. This happened a lot with the Davenport boy as a friend but she got used to it. This, however, was a whole different level of weirdness. With a nod and a look of determination on her face, Jordyn made a decision. She would find out why trouble and unclarity followed the boy like a shadow.