Chapter Fourteen ~ Serve Your Purpose

Warning:
This chapter contains violence.

~

Espresso glared down at his wrist in disapproval.

"Is this really necessary..?"

"Eheh.. Officer Almond said this was required if you were to leave the castle grounds.." Madeleine nervously chuckled in reply.

Just a few moments beforehand, Espresso had been eager with the assumption that he'd be free to roam wherever he pleased once able to leave the castle. But his hopes and dreams were crushed, one reason being that he'd have to be supervised by the paladin under any circumstance, and another being the current situation he was in at this moment.

Madeleine's grip on the mage's wrist finally ceased as the spell was complete.

...a magic binding spell.

The mage cringed. He remembered seeing these types of spells in the book he had read in his jail cell. Of course, the book was about light magic, (which he had no choice but to read since basically every book in the castle library was of light magic and the Divine).

The user of light magic would simply have to come in contact with the victim, using it to grab hold of the victim's magic that would be strongest in their wrist. The light magic would then latch onto said magic of the victim and would not let go until the spell was broken by the caster.

If Espresso were to try and run away from the knight, the spell would forcefully drag him back to his direction. This, was enough to make the mage's blood boil.

A binding spell. How ridiculous?

Such a thing should be forbidden for the inhumanity of such a concept. The mage believes magic should not be wasted on something as foolish as a binding spell.

Yet here he was, stood side by side by the infamous knight commander as he wore his narcissistic grin, ready to march into the kingdom village with a mage tied to him as if he was a dog on a leash.

Espresso scowled. I hate this guy so much.

He crossed his arms angrily, "I change my mind, bring me back to my cell."

Madeleine chuckled and patted him on the back, the mage trying to avoid his unnecessary displays of 'affection'. He successfully ducked to the side and the knight raised his eyebrow.

"You could do with a little sun and some fresh air, my friend!"

"Again, I am not your friend." he shot back.

Though Madeleine seemed to ignore his whiplash and began to stride forwards, down the steps with the mage following behind him.

The knight glanced behind him, noticing the large frown on his face. His lips formed a small grin at the amusing look on his face.

"Wouldn't hurt to smile a little." he suggested.

Espresso scoffed, "Worried I'll scar your reputation, oh joyful and mighty knight commander?"

Madeleine pouted. The mage really wouldn't shut up about his high rank, or his big reputation. Sure he was popular with the townfolk and practically the Kingdom's treasured jewel, but he thought himself to be a decent guy, with or without his well known status.

"You don't detest me do you?"

"Oh, was I not being clear?" the mage replied, layers of sarcasm draping over his every word.

He stopped, making Espresso stop in his tracks behind him, almost crashing right into his muscular figure.

Madeleine turned around, tilting his head in confusion.