What in the world?

I quickly set down the soup bowl and jump out of bed. "What was in that soup?! Why did my wounds go away?!" My gaze travels over the three strangers. "Who the heck are you people?"

"We are the Madrigals"

Everyone's head turns to the door. An old woman wearing a dark pink dress stands in the open doorway. "We were blessed with a miracle many many years ago."

"It's how Tia Julieta healed your wounds." The freckled boy says. "We were all given a gift to help our Encanto."

"'Encanto?' What is that? And what kind of gifts?" I ask, feeling extremely confused.

"We all have different magical abilities. Tia Julieta can heal people through her food, my little brother can speak to animals, I can shape-shift, the list goes on." He says.

I scoff. "Sure you can. Can you guys quit making excuses and just tell me the reason I'm here?"

The boy shape-shifts into a perfect copy of me and walks up to where I'm standing. He attempts to mimic my voice. "'Sure you can.'" He teases.

I stumble, caught off guard. "I must've hit my head harder than I thought," I mutter.

"I know it sounds crazy, but it's true." The curly-haired girl with glasses says. She holds her hand out for me to shake. "I'm Mirabel."

I hesitantly shake it. "(Yn)."

Julieta looks at me. "We should alert the family that you're up. Everyone has been worried sick."

"Especially Camilo~" Mirabel smirks. "He hasn't left your side since you got here."

I look over to the curly-haired boy. Who I assume is Camilo. He was turning a deep shade of red.
"S-Shut up!" He pouts.

"Come along everyone. Let's gather the family and let (Yn) get washed up." The older woman says, giving me a small smile.

Mirabel sets down the outfit she was holding on the bed. "I made this outfit myself, so you've got to let me know what you think. Come down whenever you're ready." She beams. Her smile was as bright as the sun.

As the Madrigals exit the room, I slowly walk to the window. I open it up and warm air welcomes me. The beautiful blue sky creates a lovely background for the tall mountains that almost seemed to act as a wall; always on guard to keep anyone or anything out. The lush trees were dotted with brightly colored birds and flowers. My gaze works its way down to the center of my view. A small village was nestled safely between the trees and mountains. It was bustling with life. It brings tears to my eyes. That was the same way my village was only a few days ago. It was like looking into my past.

It's amazing...I think to myself. How one day you have it all...the next...nothing.

The screams of innocent people, people who would never hurt anyone, echo through my mind, taunting me. I shake my head. I don't want to cry anymore. But the tears come regardless. I slump down against the floor and pull my knees close to my chest.

My head jolts up as I hear a knock on the door.

"(Yn)? Are you okay?"

"Yeah! I'm fine!" I choke out.

"Uhhhh...you don't sound fine..." The door creeks open and Camilo pops his head in. "You're crying again?" He walks over and sits beside me. "Are you okay? What happened to you?" He asks, looking at me with worried eyes.

I gaze at him, a bit surprised to see that he was genuinely concerned. "I...I..." my voice comes out as a stutter.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. Heck, you don't have to come out and meet everyone if you don't want to." He puts his hand on my shoulder. "You don't have to do anything you aren't comfortable with."

I give him a small smile. "It's okay. It might be nice to finally get it off my chest." I let out a sigh. "A few days ago, these soldiers invaded my village. They set fire to everything...my home, my family..." I hug my knees closer to my chest. "I was able to escape since I was on the edge of the town when the soldiers came. I'm the only thing that escaped the flames."

Camilo doesn't say anything and only looks at me. He opens his mouth to say something but closes it again. We sit in silence for a couple of minutes, the only sound to be heard is the chirping of birds.

Finally, Camilo speaks. "(Yn), I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through."

I look into his eyes. They were so caring; I felt safe when I looked at them.

"Y'know, you remind me of a phoenix." He abruptly says.

"A phoenix? Like the bird made of fire?" I ask.

"Yeah. Even through all of the hardships, you rise from the ashes."