Lovestruck

Freya laid in her bed, her eyes glued to the ceiling. Her healing today had exhausted her and her eyelids were heavy, but she didn't dare close them.
What if he comes?
Women were not allowed to have relationships in the village but no one batted an eye at casual affairs with travelling men. Freya had tried it before. How else do you move through your whole life without ever having sex?
And this man was exceptional. He was handsome in a charming sort of way with thick brown hair, light green eyes and an infectious smile. The nervousness he showed when she touched him was endearing somehow and the energy she felt from his body was addicting. She could sense it, he was a kind man with a good heart. Almost too good, which is why she was sure he might not appear tonight. She had a feeling he might be a little too proper and a little too, 'We must be married first.'
She heard someone whispering outside and sprung to her feet to see if he had arrived. She peered out of her bed and snickered at what she saw.
Maverick was walking back and forth in front of her house, whispering to himself, a rose in one hand.
Was he practicing?
She let out a soft laugh and he turned to look at her, immediately shoving the rose behind his back. Giggling, she opened her front door and motioned for him to step inside. Once he had entered she held out her hand.
"This is for you." He handed her the rose, a boyish grin spreading across his face. "But I see that you have already seen your surprise."
"Thank you." She smiled, taking the rose.
She motioned to her home. It was a single room with two small beds, an oven, bookcase and several shelves. The shelves were lined with bottles of various liquids, dried plants and some bottles held a few living insects that skittered around desperately. Herbs and plants hung from the ceiling, still drying in preparation for medicines and ceremonies.
"It's probably not what you're used to." She began. "My sister is normally here with me, but she's with Cora tonight." Then she stopped herself realising that she had no reason to impress this man, nor any reason to tell him her personal business.
"It's lovely." He replied, but his eyes still hadn't left her face.
"So you're here to..." Her eyes drifted down towards his waist and back to his face.
"I'm here to say a proper hello and a proper goodbye." He said with a small smile.
"Really?" She cocked an eyebrow at him and scoffed. "You brought me a rose in the middle of the night so you could say goodbye to me?"
"I couldn't stop thinking about you." He said, his voice barely a whisper. He took another step towards her, closing the gap between them.
Freya tried to push away the warmth she felt from his romantic gesture, she didn't need this man to romance her, but she did know she wanted him to strip her down naked and climb into her bed with her.
She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, bringing his lips down to meet hers. As soon as his soft warm mouth touched hers, she felt herself growing moist with need. His large hands wrapped around her waist, pulling her tightly against him. Freya opened her mouth to deepen the kiss and moaned as she pressed against his growing election.
But suddenly, he had pushed her back, although his face was still full of hunger.
"No." He shook his head. "You're not some common whore."
Freya rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "I know I'm not."
"You deserve better. An actual courtship." He said gently, reaching forward to push a piece of stray hair from her face.
His touch instantly shot chills down her spine, but she stepped away from him.
"Well, I have no interest in any of that." She said. "As you know, we are forbidden from relationships with men."
"I know." He said.
"So why are you here?" She said.
"I wanted to see you again." He replied, stepping towards her. "To be near you."
"You sir, are insane." She laughed. "I just met you today."
"I know you'll likely never change your mind." Maverick responded. "But I just wanted one last moment."
She laughed and pointed at her door. "Off you go."
He smiled down at her and turned towards the door. Before stepping out he looked back over his shoulder and winked at her.
"You'll see me again." He grinned.
Freya growled angrily and shut the door behind him. She felt that she had made it clear what she wanted in the yurt and he had still come in like some love sick romantic and tried to sway her.
Courtship? Was he mad?
If Freya had it her way, the village wouldn't even associate with the kingdom. Although in recent weeks, the King had made great strides to try and support his people, something he had gone many moons without doing. Yet still, she did not trust the crown. It was ruled by an oversized baby who drank too much and the King did exactly what he wanted, when he wanted. Such a typical controlling man.
She had been shocked when she tended to Emilia. Freya had the ability to feel one's energy and that woman was a strong willed and independent one. It made her wonder what the King was like when he wasn't grieving. Maybe she was too quick to judge.
Regardless, she was glad the King was leaving in the morning and taking his little sidekick with him. Freya walked to her bed and nestled in for the night, closing her eyes and breathing deeply, until sleep found her.
The next morning, Freya awoke to the sounds of people gathering on the pathway outside her home. She peered out the window and saw that many villagers had gathered to watch the King, Maverick and Emilia leave. Emilia was standing now and although she looked frail and weak, she was smiling as she clutched onto the hand of the King. Freya had to admit she was stunning with bright blue eyes and raven black hair.
She'd heard about Emilia, the woman who helped train the army that ultimately let to The Pillager's downfall. Freya shuddered at the thought. Her own parents had been slaughtered by The Pillager before Cora took her in. She had been here since she was a baby and Cora cared for her and trained her to heal and fight.
But that deep power within Freya wasn't taught. Cora said she was born with, she said it was a gift. Freya didn't agree. Being a powerful healer may sound incredible but it also means that everyone around you expects only miracles and she wasn't sure if she could always perform them.
Like today, she had been told that she was healing The King's lover and of course when Emilia arrived, she had been infected with one of the most powerful poisons known to man. She was confident in her abilities, but sometimes the pressure was too much.
She watched as the trio loaded themselves onto the carriages and the guards mounted their horses. The group began to move forward and she saw Maverick look back, in the direction of her house and as his eyes searched for, she quickly moved from the window sill and out of sight.
When the group had left the village, Freya made her way towards Cora, who still stood on the path, speaking to a few women.
Cora nodded at her, "Hello Freya, you've just missed them leaving. Emilia wanted to come give you her thanks, but I told her to hurry on and get home so she can have a few good days of rest."
"That's ok, I could see that Emilia looked much better." She smiled. "It's good to see."
Cora scoffed. "The King must have really angered someone to make them want to kill his lover. Whoever they are, they are either really stupid or really mad."
Freya shook her head. "We have no business in Royal affairs."
"That we do not." Cora agreed. "Yet, if she had arrived only a few hours later, I do believe we would have all been in trouble."
"He would have made his way through every village, asking questions until he got his answers." Freya replied. "The last thing we need is attention being drawn here. We did the right thing."
Cora gave her a long look. "If they ever knew what you could truly do, we'd all be at risk. The rich will accumulate anything, if they think it will make them more powerful."
Freya reached out and squeezed her hand. "They'll never know. Besides, it only happened once and since then...I've never been able to do it again."
Cora smiled. "We should stop talking about things that may never happen. It creates bad energy."
Freya nodded. "I'll get back to my herb garden then."

Kidnapping the KingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara