"Why did you stop?", I dart the question at him, and sit down on the beanbag right next to him. He stares at the carpeted floor for a long while, without moving or answering. Okay, that question was a little too personal. Why did I even ask him that?

"You don't have to answer that. Let's set up the computer for the meeting", I utter in one breath. "There's nothing wrong in that question", he tells me and I calm down, a little. I honestly I crossed the lines. For the second time today.

"Well...", he drags and rubs the side of his neck, squinting his eyes. "Where do I start from?", he breathes in.

"I figured out that music was my thing when I was around 19. I went to music class as part of extra-curricular activity at school and it has stayed with me since then! And I don't need to tell you about my family background, or my dad - you know everything inside-out. From the start, he wanted me to get takeover his business. I did my MBA, but when I felt that the driving force was missing, I turned to making music. In my room, I'd mix music and sing and everything. I thought it would be a great career", he pauses and I know where this story is going now.

"I chose music over the business. Dad didn't approve it at all. But I rebelled. I went against his words and when he stopped talking to me, it didn't bother me at all. After all, I was doing what I love, what could be better than that, right? But two things, Navya - it takes years to grow in the industry, any industry in that matter, and I didn't have my family's support", he smiles, but the joy in his smile is missing.

"And when it comes down to choosing between family or passion, you'll have to choose family, isn't it?", I prompt. "Always!", he backs me up. "I figured out that there's nothing I could do with my success if I didn't have a family to celebrate it with. My dad was so happy because I finally decided to takeover his business; that happiness on his face is unmatched. I had to let go of a lot to get a hold of that smile on his face, but that's life, right? You cannot have everything. There's always going to be an empty spot you can do nothing about", he shrugs.

"Also, my older brother - Daksh - lives and runs our Canadian firm. You must've heard from everyone around that he dated Kesha and my dad absolutely hated the idea of that", he pauses and I nod my head in agreement, immediately.

"He tried convincing my parents and it didn't work. He broke-up as my parents wished, moved to Canada and stopped talking to them. I mean, I do understand how Daksh feels, but that move sort of broke dad. So, you know, I had to give up on my passion because it would've made dad even more sad. One son completely stopped talking to him, and I didn't want him to think that the other one simply doesn't respect him enough to do what he wants us to do", he narrates.

"Life honestly gives you a lot to choose from, but eventually it all comes down to the choices you make - and you could the options entirely in your favour, or choose the make others happy, too", he says and I simply smile at him. I just don't know what to say.

"Now, I come here to chill and it's more of a personal space", he concludes. "Also...", he whispers, leaning forward and gestures me to join him. I lean forward, too. "...this is a secret between us. You better not tell your Devesh Sir", he whispers softly. "I promise I won't", I whisper back, too, smiling. "Okay, coffee is ready", he hushes and we laugh, rising to our feet.

He locks his Secret Chamber away and we walk back into the daylight in his living room.

That was a completely different side of him. I never thought he was someone who would compromise or let go, looking at how he behaved in the start. But after all of this, I'm looking into a completely different person - one who knows about compassion and love inside-out. People were so wrong about him. About him being hard to be with, and all of that crap. Being around him is just inspiring and he carries this good vibe wherever he goes, it's never dull.

"Madam, your Cappuccino", he keeps a mug on the table. "When are you going to quit calling me that?", I roll my eyes. "The day you quit calling me Sir", he shrugs, taking a sip of his coffee. "You know that I cannot do that", I tell him. "Well, then - sorry.com, Madam", he smiles, mischievously.

"You can call me Darshan when we're out of the office, at least. I'm probably just a few months older than you", he emphasizes. "I'll try", I say back and he sighs, shaking his head to the sides.

After - what I'd call - a never-ending day of conversations, we set-up the laptop for the first round of video conference with Mr. Ramesh, and honestly it goes as smooth as butter.

"You're such a liar. You said you don't know anything about the Business World. You're too good at it!", I tell him and he smiles, relaxing on the couch, while I pack things up.

"I've heard about business all my life. It'll be a shame if I don't even know about the alphabet", he says. "You know way more than just that. Stop underestimating yourself", I remind him. "I mean, you can be a successful businessman and a great musician", I shrug my shoulders.

"Will you talk to Devesh Sir on my behalf?", he looks at me. "I have to go, bye!", I stand up and he laughs.

"Thank you for coming all the way", he flashes a grateful smile at me. "I was making some music, I really didn't want to attend the meeting from the office", he explains. "We can do whatevers convenient for you...Sir!", I tease and he smiles.

"Shall I drop you home?", he offers. I wouldn't mind a free ride back home, honestly, but that'll be too much to ask for. "Thank you, I'll book a cab", I decline. "Sure? I can drop you", he insists. "Sure! Thank you, though, Sir", I gratefully smile at him and start walking away.

It was such a good day. I genuinely forgot about my problems around him. I wish I could've stayed a little longer, because as I walk out of the doors of his apartment - I'm walking into a world of my own struggles!

×

[Swipe to #09!!]