Robert, Cora, and Matthew walk into the library, talking and Robert sits at his desk, looking stressed. Cora looks to her husband, "How will they advertise it?"

    He sighs, "I don't know exactly. 'Desirable nobleman's mansion with surrounding estate and properties.'"

    "Where will you go?" Tom asks.

    "We have some land further north, at Eryholme, on the border with Durham. It came with my great-grandmother. The house is pretty, and we might make something of it. We could always rename it 'Downton Place.'"

    "Who lives there now?" Matthew asks.

    "A tenant," Robert replies, "But we can come to an arrangement that keeps him happy."

    "Let's take a picnic there tomorrow," Cora suggests, "Take a breaking from the wedding on Edith's last day of freedom."

    Sybil, Mary, and Evelyn all walk in, "Molesley's in the hall. He wonders if he might have a word."

    "I'll come through in a minute," Matthew replies.

    "Not with you," Margaret looks at her, "With mama. Molesley," Molesley comes in with a smile.

    "Your ladyship, may I have a word?"

    "Of course."

    He looks around the room, "My lady, might I be allowed to put forward a candidate as Miss O'Brien's replacement?"

    "What?" Cora asks, confused. Everyone looks at him.

    "When the time comes."

    "Is O'Brien leaving?" Robert asks.

    "I hope I've not spoken out of turn," Molesley says, "only I didn't want to let it go and miss the chance. I thought you knew."

    "Of course I know," Cora smiles, "thank you, Molesley. I'll be happy to listen to recommendations when, as you say, the time comes."

    "Thank you, my lady."

    Everyone watches him leave the library. Margaret looks to Matthew who shrugs. Robert sighs, "Well, I must confess, I will watch her departure with mixed emotions."

    "Mine are fairly unmixed," Mary says.

    Sybil sighs and looks to her mother, "Did you have a clue?"

    "Not a clue. How very disappointing."

    "But in a way," Robert says, "it raises the big question, when do we tell the staff that the end is nigh?"

    Margaret looks to Matthew. Mary shakes her head, "You make it sound so final."

    "I'm afraid it is final."

    "Well," Mary says, "don't spoil Edith's day. Let us get through the wedding first, and then tell them afterwards."

    "Mary, you're so kind towards Edith," Margaret tells her, "Marriage has changed you."

    "Oh, be quiet." Margaret smiles before looking to Matthew.

———

"Can't you see that it's destroying him?" Margaret tells Matthew as she puts in her earrings, "Why is it we can't tell him?"

    "Until I get the death certificates from the lawyer, we can't do anything. I'm sorry, darling, I know how much this pains you."

    "It just pains me to see Papa's life's work get thrown away. He's worked so hard for this estate and right now he thinks nothing will save it. When will the lawyer come?"