x. blood in the cut

Start from the beginning

After dealing with the letters, I decided there wasn't much left to do other than head back to the hotel. I'd probably spend the rest of the day making trap blueprints and testing some poisons using the plant life that is local to Konoha.

My plans all seemed to go out the metaphorical window when I arrived at my hotel to a see a familiar figure waiting outside of it.

"Obito...?" I asked, a confused frown on my face as I approached the dark-haired boy. "What are you doing here?"

Upon noticing me, Obito wasted no time in rushing towards me, saving me the trouble of having to walk the rest of the way. "Kyo! Finally, I've been waiting here for hours!"

I squinted my eyes at him, letting him know how transparent his lie was. I hadn't even been gone that long, so there was no way Obito had been camping outside the hotel for more than fifteen minutes.

It didn't take long for Obito to cave under my glare. "Okay, fine— But when we get there, you're telling them that I was waiting for—"

"Wait, where are we going?"

"Oh—! Well, it's why I came to get you. The team usually goes out once a week to eat— Sensei, says it's to build our relationship with each other, but Kakashi will forever and always be a bastard—"

"Obito."

"—Anyways! We're going to eat today, and Sensei suggested we invite you. So, are you interested?" He smiled at me, giving a cheesy wink that made me want to hit him, but also laugh at the same time.

"Sure, sounds cool to me."

"Awesome!" Obito whooped, leading the way to our destination.

× × ×

Obito brought me to the familiar ramen stand, Ichiraku's. Most of the seats were already taken by the members of Team Seven, who looked less than pleased to see Obito and I approach— I was mainly speaking about Kakashi here.

"You're late," the masked boy said with narrowed eyes.

I sighed, giving Obito a deadpan expression. The Uchiha laughed sheepishly and rubbed the back of his head. "What can I say—"

"Nothing," Kakashi instantly said before turning back to the bowl of ramen in front of him.

Rin gave me an apologetic look. "Don't feel bad, Kyojin-kun. It probably wasn't the smartest thing to let Obito get you— considering his track record..." She trailed off, glancing at said boy who looked like a kicked puppy right about now. "Ah, no offense Obito-kun!"

"No, it's okay!" Obito forced out with a chuckle, but I could still see the pain in his dark eyes. He really valued Rin's opinion, so it was no surprise that her careless words affected him.

Minato decided it was time to speak up. "We're happy you both made it regardless of the time. Take a seat— It's my treat." Obito and I didn't hesitate to do as told, sliding into the few seats that were left open. I allowed Obito to order for me again, and just like before— he was ecstatic to be given the honor.

"You say that and regret it every time," Kakashi mumbled as he shook his head.

Minato laughed. "It's not my fault Obito has the world's largest appetite." The blond grinned over at Obito, making the boy smile in turn.

"Sorry, Sensei!" Obito stuck out his tongue. "I'm a growing boy, y'know!"

"Keep it up and the only thing you'll be growing is a stomach." Kakashi was quick to defuse the cheerful atmosphere.