iii. a lost cause

Time went by more slowly when Sasori became a genin. I barely saw him as it was, so now that he was a full time ninja our moments with each other lessened even more. Usually he was training with his sensei, off on a mission, or studying in his room at home.

A few months into this routine, I woke Sasori up before his usual time— intent on getting some attention.

"Saso-nii." I hovered over his dozing form, a knee on either side of his body with my hands on his chest to keep myself balanced.

"Hn..." The redhead grunted tiredly. He was awake and aware of my presence, but obviously didn't feel the need to do anything about it. Sighing, I placed my full weight on him and rested my head on his chest. A groan left him, making me smirk. "What is it, Kyo?"

"Saso-nii, p'ease spen' the day with me!" I whined, nuzzling his chest and probably making my hair become even more messy than it originally was (fact of the day: Kyojin doesn't believe in brushes).

Sasori sighed, lazily brushing a hand through my wavy brown tresses (frowning whenever his fingers got caught on a knot). "Sorry, Kyojin, but you know I have training with Ichirou-sensei today."

I whined obnoxiously into his chest, "That's what you say every time!" Lifting my head up to meet Sasori's eyes, I pouted. "It's my turn now!"

My brother looked stuck between becoming stern or becoming amused. Instead, he sighed again

but more loudly and rubbed at his eyes tiredly. "No, Kyo. I'm training with Ichirou-sensei no matter what..." At this I frowned pitifully, but Sasori continued, "....but, maybe you can come with me. Sensei has been wanting to meet you anyway."

Gasping at the reveal, my brown eyes widened in delight as I hugged Sasori. "Yay! Thank you, nii-sama! I love you so so much~!"

Laughing, Sasori lazily returned my hug, already drifting back to sleep now that the problem had been resolved. "I love you too, Kyo."

× × ×

We arrived at the sand-covered training grounds that Sasori and his sensei frequented around nine in the morning. Chiyo had seen us off, but not before shoving two breakfast bentos into our hands.

"Sasori-kun, early as always, I see..." Ichirou chirped in greeting. He was lying on a rock in the middle of the training ground, his eyes closed as he basked in the sunlight. No wonder his skin was so darkly tanned. "Oh, and is that another person I sense?" The man sat up and tilted his head to the side, allowing his sandy-blond hair to fall across part of his face.

Oddly enough, his eyes remained closed. Apparently it was a normal enough occurrence however, as Sasori paid it no mind and merely grunted in reply before introducing me. "Ichirou-sensei, this is my little brother: Kyojin."

Ichirou gasped loudly, a large smile on his face as he quickly slipped off of the rock. Soon he was in front of us— pinching my cheeks and ruffling Sasori's hair at the same time. "Ah, it's so nice to finally meet you, Kyo-chan! Sasori-kun has told me so much about you~ My name is Ichirou!"

"Un!" I grinned in reply once the man released my cheeks, "Ichi-sensei!"

"So cute!" He practically cried, clasping his hands together. The blond was spinning on the balls of his feet, and all I could do was watch in...disbelief? Surprise? I honestly couldn't find a word to describe how I was feeling, but I knew that beside me, Sasori looked less than impressed. Ichirou sighed contently, finally coming to a stop. "Well, let's get straight to training! Kyo-chan, you can warm-up with Sasori-kun if you like, but when the real training starts, please go and wait in the shade, neh?"