Witch: Kay

Witch: Kay

By Monday lunch time I was back at my apartment. Garran had come over to visit after he'd gone back to his house. We sat on my sofa and watched TV, flicking through the music channels and the normal entertainment channels.

We went out for lunch to a restaurant close to the shop, Garran ordering food while I just had a glass of water. We paid for our food (and drink) and kept our eyes open for people going near the shop.

Several people walked past, but no one paid any attention to it. It was when around half one when someone finally did something they noticed. They crouched down outside the shop, making it look as though they were tying their shoe laces, but I saw them looking at the shop, their head facing the window.

“Garran,” I said, nodding to the person.

Garran turned to look at them. It was a man, mid-twenties with dark hair. He was wearing a suit and his hair was smoothed back. I guessed that he was a business man.

“What is he?” Garran asked.

“I don't know,” I said.

Darlene and Sean walked over to us. Darlene took a chair from an empty table and Sean sat on it. Darlene sat on his lap and followed our gaze.

“Witch,” she said.

“How do know?” Garran asked.

“His skin isn't pale enough to be a vampire, not dark enough to be a wolf.”

“He could be a 'shifter,” Garran suggested.

“He could be, but he's not. I know him,” Darlene said.

“How do you know him?” Garran asked.

“You tend to know most witches when you're me.”

“Right, important family and all that.”

Darlene walked away from us and crossed the road, stopping in front of the man. He looked up and she started talking, not giving him a chance to get a word in.

The rest of us watched as the man straightened himself out and pushed Darlene against a wall violently. Before I could turn my head, Sean had got to them and pushed the man into the middle of the road.

At that moment a lorry came and hit the witch stood in the road. Everyone who was eating outside the restaurant gasped as the witch flew towards the shop next to the restaurant. A few people stood, and went to see if he was okay. When I looked back to where Darlene and Sean had been, there was no one there.

“Let's get out of here,” Garran said.

“Good idea.”

“I think we should find Darlene. Sean probably took her back to her house.”

“Let's try there,” I said, standing.

Garran and I put money on the table then left, heading to the woods. We walked in between the trees, avoiding low hanging branches and stepping over over-grown bushes. We walked for about twenty minutes until we reached the house in the woods.

The outside was wooden, but inside it was stone bricks. There were large windows in the living room, and medium sized windows upstairs and in the kitchen.

We walked up the small steps at the front of the house and Garran knocked at the door. It was about half a minute until the door opened. It was Grandma Smilston.

“How can I help you both?” She asked.

“We were wondering if Darlene had come back,” Garran said.

“She's upstairs with Sean. They're busy at the moment. Can I take a message?”

“Just tell her to phone us later,” Garran said, turning to go.

“Watch your backs. You don't know who's in the woods these days,” Grandma Smilston said, shutting the door.

On Tuesday, when we were all back at work, Darlene caught up with Garran and me and told us what had happened.

“I asked questions and he just snapped. When Sean came over he said we'd get what we deserved, then Sean pushed him into the road. Because he's now dead, Sean has to face a trial,” Darlene said.

“Just because the witch died?” Garran asked.

“Yeah. We don't like it when one of our own gets killed, but the fact that it was me that he threatened, will work in Sean's favour.” Darlene turned and left.

“Do you think we'll be called as witnesses?” I asked.

“Nah, I doubt it,” Garran said.

“Do you think everything will be fine from now on?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Garran slipped his hand into mine as we walked to the control room for a new day of work.