Too Close: Kay

Too close: Kay

I’d never really given much thought to how I’d die. Well, I say die, when actually I mean something like stop existing. I had never thought that it would have to end like this, especially not when I was still human. Killed by wood. I definitely hadn’t done too badly. Friends. A job. Great creations. Speaking of my creations, as I was lying on the ground, the wooden arrow so close to my heart, my Contacter was making a noise. I listened, hoping who ever it was would just leave me be.

“Kay, can you hear me?” Garran asked, panicked.

How had he got the signal back? If I didn’t feel like I wouldn’t make it, I would have responded. Garran must know that something’s up. He just knew me so well. I heard faint footsteps. They weren’t too close, but close enough for me to hear.

Since I’ve been a vampire, life strangely seems easier. It isn’t like the old human legends say it is. Garlic, holy water, sun light all that, it doesn’t matter. The main problem for us is wood, but only if it has got into our bodies, and has a chance to cause an infection in the blood, causing us to just fade away. Except it’s a lot more painful than that.

Garran was closer, running now, never getting exhausted. As he approached his eyes went wide. He leant over me, his dark hair covering his face. He looked at where the arrow met with my chest. He sat back, pushed a button on his earpiece. He stood up as he talked.

“Okay, I’m going to need the first aid, and something to decrease pain,” He listened to the other end. “Yes, I know it’s a bit sudden, but you can’t exactly tell Kay when to get shot with an arrow. The other end went silent. He released the pressure from the button and knelt next to me.

“Okay, here’s the thing, it’s gonna take at least three minutes to get here. They’re coming as fast as they can, but the alert has been sounded, so it might be difficult for them to get in,”

I could only nod. I knew the alarm had been sounded. Security had seen me. How they knew I was a vampire, I wasn’t sure. I heard the helicopter. It was a few minutes away. I was hoping that I would survive, although most people would in this situation. It is most unusual for a vampire to sweat, but somehow I managed it. My hair was sticking to my forehead.

“Garran,” I managed to choke out. The blood was starting to go into my throat. It wouldn’t be long till I chocked on my own blood. Nice. I’d heard rumours from people who had witnessed their friend or partner have the same experience.

“Shush! They’ll be here any second. You’re gonna be fine,” Garran carried on muttering soothing words. I felt more blood but kept my mouth quiet. “Don’t worry. They’re almost here,”

I listened carefully. I heard the light taps from Tarni’s feet, and the heavier thud of Michael’s feet. The relief swept through me. I had a chance. They approached me cautiously, watching their backs as they came.

Tarni leant over me. She worked quickly, injecting me in my wrist with something that made me feel numb. Slowly, I slipped into unconsciousness, remembering nothing of what happened after.

It’s strange, I think, vampires can’t sleep, but we can still get knocked unconscious. Strange logic in the vampire world. A lot of stuff doesn’t make much sense. Since I learnt about this world I’ve decided to believe that nothing makes sense, no matter how hard you try to make it.

* * * * *

After being put to sleep by Tarni, the next thing I remember is waking up in the infirmary. The infirmary is a basic place, at first look. I know the infirmary better than anyone, except the nurses. I designed all the technology that could be found in this room. The door switches, the electronic beds, the electronic chairs, the computerised windows, the voice controlled panels in the wall. The main thing I have to do in my job is update out software and equipment.