Chapter 3- Josie

Hawk House was one of the more popular sports bars for upperclassmen, graduate students, and professors from South Harmon. I'd been working there since my sophomore year and I was always thankful for the older crowd even if it meant less tips on weeknights. I didn't have to deal with obnoxious drunk undergrads on the daily and that was worth it.

"You just got a four top seated in your section, Josie," Michaela, the hostess, told me.

I thanked her, but inwardly groaned as I saw the faces of the guys who had just been sat. Football players after, what I'm guessing because of the sweat, was a conditioning practice. Hayden was one of them.

With a deep sigh, trying to boost my courage, I went over to them. Hayden grinned up at me, his dimpled smile deepening. At least, he wouldn't be weird about me totally ghosting him after the frat party that weekend. Like always, he seemed totally unbothered.

"I didn't realize you were working tonight," he commented.

"Here I am," I smiled politely, "what can I get you guys?"

I'd been working every Tuesday night since I got the job two years ago, but I wasn't going to tell him that. I greeted the rest of the guys, vaguely recognizing two of them. One of them, I fully recognized, but usually pretended that I didn't.

Winston King, our starting wide receiver, and Donovan's best friend from high school. He'd always been nice enough—nicer than his best friend, that's for certain—but we usually pretended that we didn't know each other. There was almost an understanding between us that it would be too awkward to explain how we knew each other. Plus, up until the frat party, I was pretending like Donovan Starr didn't exist, and acknowledging his best friend's existence went against that.

I left quickly from their table after the four boys ordered their beers and their food, thankful that it would only be the four of them tonight. When I returned with their beers, they were deep in discussion and it seemed like Hayden was heated.

"You guys don't think it's ridiculous? He missed practice today and nobody said anything to him! He transferred only a couple weeks ago and Coach is already talking like—"

My arrival with the drinks cut Hayden off mid rant, but it wasn't hard to guess who they were talking about. Winston raised his dark eyes toward me, but I pretended not to notice as I handed him his beer.

"You know him too, right Josie?" Hayden said.

"Hm?" I asked, distracted.

"Donovan. At the party. You two seemed to know each other really well."

"Oh," I shrugged, "yeah. I mean sort of. Not really well."

At this, Winston raised an eyebrow and something that looked like a smile started to cross his face. "You guys saw each other at the party?"

I was so surprised he was directly addressing me that it took me a long time to respond.

"Yep."

I bounced on the balls of my feet, hoping the questions would stop. They didn't.

"How do you guys know each other?" Hayden asked.

I contemplated how to answer, but fortunately or unfortunately, Winston answered for me. Amusement flickered in his eyes but I didn't know if it was directed at me or something else.

"Josie went to the same high school as Donovan and me," Winston said.

Hayden looked at me for confirmation and I nodded. My three year desire to pretend like Donovan never existed seemed to wash away along with the mutual understanding Winston and I had. I contemplated making up an excuse about checking on another table, but the questions kept coming.