“I know Kay. She doesn’t like that sort of attention, and if you haven’t noticed, Erin isn’t with us at the moment. Therefore, I’m in charge."

“And why can’t someone else be. I don’t intend on dying today. Or tonight, whatever you wish to call it."

“Go ahead and go on your own. That will get you killed. At least I’ll have people backing me,” Kate threw back to Cambello.

“The difference to if I went on my own and stayed with you, is I’d be covering someone’s back. Whereas, you wouldn’t.”

Kate smiled at that. “You suck at trying to sound clever and hard at the same time. So not your thing.”

“Hey, I’m in a better position to lead than you is all I’m going to say,” Cambello said, reaching down and picking up a pistol.

He looked at it before focusing on Kate. “Yes, that means I’m staying."

Everyone picked up their choice of weapon.

“There are twenty of us, so that could be two teams of ten, or four teams of five. Nothing smaller, so that way everyone’s in a good sized group. Which one would be better?” Kate said, looking around at us all.

“All together. Think about it. If we find the way out, we all do,” Oscar said.

Kate looked at him, pushing a lock of her black fringe behind her ear. She’d got her hair worn up, meaning she’d put it up some point after dinner as she only wears it up when she thinks there might be trouble.

“Counterargument: Easier to kill us if we’re all together,” Kate said.

“But we don’t know that we’re going to be killed. Yes, we all walked into a trap, but we’re in the place that ‘D’ lives. Or is at least staying in. Chances are they don’t want us dead,” Karri said.

“There’s another reason. Karri,” Oscar said.

“What about me?” Karri said, glancing at Oscar.

“You’re a healer. If we split into groups, only one group gets healed if anyone gets hurt. That could be a disadvantage to the rest,” Oscar said.

“He has a point,” Evelyn said to Kate.

“True. Okay, stick as a group. At some point we may have to split up, so I suggest we plan our groups ahead. We don’t to be busying deciding groups and then get ambushed. Cambello,” Kate said, a smile brightening her face. “Why don’t you be leader of team two?”

“Fine by me,” Cambello said. “I’m assuming you’re picking first.”

“Of course. I’ll have Karri,” Kate said.

“Oscar.”

“Chris."

“Evelyn.”

“Dan."

“Michael.”

“Kay,” Kate said.

“Tarni."

“Nylora.”

“Lee."

“Isobelle.”

“Carsel."

“Jarlim."

“Alan,” Cambello said.

“Frank."

“Cass."

“Jane."

“Jeff,” Cambello said, making Jeff walk over to him.