43

"Hey, Alli! Over here!"

I smiled at Jax and Austin, who were waiting at an open table for me, like usual. I hurriedly made my way over there with my lunch tray.

"Hey, guys." I said, quietly enough so only they could hear it.

"So how'd yesterday go?" Jax asked with a smile.

I shrugged. "Fine. I know what I'm singing, now. That's it."

"Hey, at least it's a start. Now all you have to do is practice, right?"

"More or less."

"Well? Aren't you going to sit down?"

My smile faltered. "Well-"

Before I could even finish, there was an arm around my shoulders. I stiffened, closing my eyes.

"What's going on here?" Jason asked. "Trying to steal Allisun away? I thought you promised you'd sit with me now!" I opened my eyes as I gave a curt nod, looking at Jax and Austin's faces.

Jason took my free hand, pulling on it. "Well, come on, then! The other three are waiting for us!"

Austin stood up. "Hang on, Jason, we were having a conversation."

Jason glared at him. "Not anymore, you're not." He stared at me. "I don't give my girlfriend permission to hang out with you, two."

Jax stared as I lowered my head in shame. "Girlfriend..? Since when were you two dating?"

"Since last night." He nudged my shoulder. "Go on, tell her." I shook my head, shying away from his touch. "Come on, Allisun, there's no need to be so shy about it. Why not tell the whole world about us? It would be nice to meet your parents for real-"

I dropped my tray. Bits of pieces and drops of milk went flying, most of it landing on Jason. The cafeteria went silent, and I felt all eyes on me- including Mark's, who was on lunch duty across the room.

"Alli, are you okay?" Austin asked, holding out his hand.

Without replying, I bolted out of the room, forcing all the hushed murmurs out of my head as I went into the bathroom, locking myself in a stall. I let the tears fall as I sat, hoping that no one would follow me.

My hopes were fruitless, as not long after, I saw a pair of shoes under the door. "Alli?" Jax asked. "Are you okay in there?" Then, more quietly, "Mr. Fishbach, get in here already."

"It feels wrong, okay? Don't yell at me for not wanting to come in here."

"She's your daughter, now help me out here." She turned her attention back to me. "It's just me and Mark, here. Can you come out, please?"

I sniffed, wiping my nose on my sleeve. "No."

"Alli, please. We just want to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine, now leave me alone."

"Alli, don't push us away like that." Mark said, slowly approaching the door. "We only want to help. It looked rough in there."

"I'm fine." I repeated, drying my cheeks.

"Alli." Jax's voice was firm. "Open the door, or else I'm crawling under and opening it for you."

I hesitated for a brief moment before jumping off the seat and sliding open the bolt, stepping out of the stall. "Happy?" I threw at her.

"Somewhat." She wet down some paper towels and began dabbing at my eyes, trying to ease the puffiness. "You'd tell us if something bad was going on, right?"

I nodded. "I guess so, yeah. Why do you ask?"

She and Mark exchanged a glance. "Just making sure."

"If you want to leave school, we won't stop you-"

I stopped Mark before he could say any more. "No. I want to stay."

Mark nodded. "Okay. You can stay. Just know that option is out there."

"I know." I pushed my way past them. "I'm going to lunch now."

"Alli-"

I heard Jax mutter behind me. "Don't try, Mr. Fishbach. Just let her go. We'll get the story later."