28 Years Ago

The wind was howling that morning making the house creak. Sandy hated it when the house made noise, especially when he was by himself. He hated that house. It never felt safe, but his parents didn't take his fears into consideration when renting. It was very affordable for the area, after all, and in the center of everything. But he knew there was a reason the house was so affordable, he just didn't know why.

All alone, he decided to do some chores to take his mind away from the emptiness. The steady noise from the T.V. just wasn't enough. He gathered some towels and headed down the hallway, passed the staircase, and into the laundry room when heard a creak... creak... creak... as if someone was following him. He turned around. Nothing was there. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end and he rushed into the laundry room. Out of curiosity, he turned again. There was a smoky shadow at the end of the hall that resembled a human form kneeling. He closed his eyes tightly and looked again. It was gone.

He reached the machine and shoved the towels inside when again heard the sound, creak... creak... creak. Once again, he looked down the hall. The dark form was there, closer, and sitting on the wall. He stared in disbelief. Perhaps his eyes were seeing things, but the creature moved slowly like smoke toward the ceiling. He screamed at the creature, and it was gone in a blink.

Believing he had watched too many horror movies, he thought his mind was playing tricks. The hall was in mostly shadow, and with his solitude and the high winds factored in, it turned into the perfect setting. After a deep breath, he returned to his towels. He reached for the detergent and heard a tap... tap... tap... coming from inside the machine. He bent down to look inside. Glowing yellow eyes looked back.

Sandy screamed and started to run down the hallway. As he ran by the staircase, the cabinet door opened and pulled him inside.