Chapter 8: Unexpected Caller

Everleigh:

"Carter, I told you a million times." I snapped over the phone.

"You have to get over it, okay? You can't just shut every child out of your life because of... what happened. They want to see you. They think you hate them, Ever."

I flinched. "I don't..." I couldn't say I didn't care. I did care. But I just... couldn't.

Suddenly, a clamor of voices came to the speaker, apparently wrestling Carter for the phone.

"Auntie Evee!!" Brinley squealed.

"Auntie Ev!" Novah shouted. I winced. Ah, this was tearing me apart.

"Hi!" I called, my voice straining.

"We're coming over! Are we going to see Gramma?" I could hear the pure joy and excitement in Novah's question.

"I'm not sure. She would love to see you," I stammered, my heart tugging me toward yes, while my conscience begged me to say no.

"Really? Yay!" Their loud shrills were flooding through the speaker. It was too much. I dropped down, breathing heavily. I looked at my hand, it was trembling involuntarily.

"Girls!" Sophia snapped over their excitement. "Let Mom talk to Auntie Everleigh." I sighed softly as she took the phone from her daughters.

"Everleigh." Her gentle air flooded over me. I relaxed, my arm still shaking.

"Soph." I tried to make my voice lighter than my heart felt. "Hi," I murmured quietly, once my panicked moment was over.

"How are you?"

"Okay. I've been better," I admitted.

I could sense her hesitation as she spoke her next sentence. "I'm sure... I'm sure Carter mentioned us coming."

"Y-Yeah."

"I completely understand if you would prefer not to see the girls."

"No, I want to see them, I just...can't," I finished, internally groaning at my vague language.

"It's okay, I get it," she stated simply. "Call if you change your mind, okay?"

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Yes, I will."

Click.

I hated missing the opportunity to see them when they were here. I hated that, and myself for having to disappoint them. There was a knock on my door and I turned around.

Daniel?

No. Please no.

I just could not handle him right now.

Just...seeing me like this.

To my extreme relief, Gloria stepped into the room, softly shutting the door behind her.

"Was that your brother?"

I nodded mutely.

"What's going on with him?"

"He's coming up with Soph and the girls." I rose to my feet and brushed myself off, lightly wiping my eyes.

"Oh? And are you planning to see them?" Her concern hung over me like a cloud, but I couldn't take any sympathy.

"No," I responded curtly.

This would be the end of me.