19 | fireworks

Thanks to Nanami's plan, they were able to enjoy the rest of the class trip.

It was the last night of the trip and Komaeda sat at the beach.

Everything was silent except for the waves. It was peaceful.

Komaeda felt odd. Like something had changed in his life.

He felt... unfocused, but in a good way.

Hope... he hadn't thought about that in a while. How could that be? It was truly strange.

"Komaeda-kun!" Nanami called out, running up to him.

"Nanami-san, hey!" He smiled, waving.

"Nagito-chan, I'm so glad we found you! Ryota-chan's fireworks are gonna start soon!" Mioda explained.

"Fireworks?"
"Mhm, he just told us. Come on, we'll bring you there." Nanami smiled, pulling him up by his arm.

They all walked towards a cliff. The rest of the class was waiting there for them.

"Ko, there you are!" Souda grinned.

Kamukura looked up from the fireworks he was previously helping Mitarai prepare.

Nobody told Yukizome about this and it was late. Really late. They were all already in the clothes they wore to bed, but it was still warm.

Kamukura stood up and walked towards Komaeda.

"Komaeda,"

"Hey, Kamukura-kun! We haven't hung out in a while,"

"Would you like to sit next to me now then?"

"For sure!" Once they got done preparing, everyone except Mitarai sat down. He was now starting the fireworks.

Kamukura noticed Komaeda wincing at the loud noises, so he put his hands over his ears. Komaeda looked at him for a second before smiling.

"Thanks,"

The fireworks were beautiful. Komaeda was glad that he was there.

When they were done, everyone sat in silence for a minute.

"Let's hope Yukizome-sensei didn't hear any of that," Nanami chuckled.

"I doubt she slept through it, but oh well," Souda said.

"Should we hide? There was some kind of cave inside the hill this cliff is on," Komaeda told them.

"How would we get in there?" Saionji asked.

"Nidai-kun is strong, he can help," Komaeda shrugged.

They all came to a silent agreement and Nidai managed to carry every one of them into the cave. It was risky, but possible.
Once they were all there, they heard footsteps.

Souda put his hands over his mouth, trying to keep himself from laughing, as did a lot of the others.

"Where did this come from?" Yukizome asked, probably talking about the fireworks.

She stayed there for about ten minutes before finally leaving.

Everyone burst out in laughter, even Kamukura.

Huh. Komaeda looked around.

Maybe this was why he hadn't thought about hope recently.

He didn't have to hope for something good to happen if it already did happen.

Like this class for example.