TWENTY

"As in an explosion, I would erupt with all the wonderful things I saw and understood in this world."
~Boris Pasternak
———

    Our feet pounded against the concrete of the driveway as we made our as fast as we could away from the house. My heart pounded in my chest so hard I thought it might break my rib cage. My bare feet were already becoming covered in thick dust as I clutched onto Tom's hand, trying to keep up with him and the way he hurtled.

  I looked back at the house for a moment, struggling a bit as I was being pulled from the other direction. Everything inside was going to be lost and it was far too late to get everything. I had no idea when the explosive was going to detonate but it was soon, and if I went back in there, there was a high chance it would go off and I would die.

   We managed to get halfway down the long driveway before the loudest noise I had ever experienced rang through my ears and I could feel my body being thrown across the concrete by the force of the explosion. My hand had slipped out of Toms and I could feel that he had experienced what I had. My eyes shut closed as I felt my entire body crash against the ground, my ears hearing nothing else but painful ringing that seemed to cloud everything else.

  The collision of my skull against the ground sent a pounding across my head. It felt like my heartbeat had traveled to my head and had amplified tremendously. I pressed my eyes together tight, trying to brace a slow hand against the side of my scalp, trying to ease the pain that was surging it's way all across my head. My brain felt like it had been reduced to mush with how hard I hit the ground.

I could hear the vacant sound of the house crumbling to bits as the destruction of the detonation took its toll on the building, bringing it down to dust. The thundering effect of large rubble hitting the ground as each part of the architecture found itself breaking away from its design and finding its final moments in demolition.

My eyes tried to focus on the pale gray beneath my fingertips which ached as if they had all been bruised. My vision seemed to bounce back and forth in blurring waves. I let out a deep groan as I laid my head back onto the ground, letting my body rest for a moment as I tried to regain my consciousness. It felt like it took my entire bodies energy just to lift my head up, even a little bit.

So tired.

I opened my eyes a little bit, ignoring the dull ache in my forehead to try and get a look at to where Tom was. I tried scanning my eyes to where I was facing, but I couldn't see him. He had fallen on the other side of me. I wondered if he had been knocked unconscious. I couldn't understand how a bomb small enough to fit into a little gift bag was able to cause such a blast.

Why did Candy give us a bomb?

She was trying to kill us. Just like everyone else.

"Darcy!"

"DARCY!"

Tom's figure kneeled itself in front of me, his hands gently placing themselves all over me in a worried manner as he made quick action to check if I was okay. I couldn't help but stare up at him with heavy eyes that welled with water, feeling relieved that he was alright. I felt my stomach twist at the sight of blood running down his eyebrow, he had been injured.

He tilted my head and placed two gentle fingers to my cheek and pulled away and I could see blood staining his fingers. I frowned and slowly raised a hand to my check, cringing at the stinging pain all cross the side of my face where I had hit the ground. I guessed I had scraped my face against the concrete and now my face was bleeding.