Chapter 11: The Investigation Returns

A.N. Keep in mind that sometimes, the logic isn't really there, and just roll with it. Written alongside PanFluidMe.

TW: Mentions of murder and death

—————————————————————————

Ten years passed without Sofia having another dream. She had let it go by then and was no longer searching for answers.

She yawned, stretching as she got up and dug through her dresser and got on her signature outfit. She ran out of her room and Casita made a slide for her and she slid down the stairs on her feet, holding onto the railing.

There was more life in the house. People were smiling more and everyone was happier. Sofia made her way to the kitchen happily. She was always in such a good mood. There was rarely a day she was anything but excited or happy.

She passed by a few people, waving happily. Casita rolled the plates along the counter to her so she could set the table, which she gladly did. It felt oddly familiar.

She finished setting the table and ran out of the kitchen. She ran into Camilo. "Oh, sorry, Tío Camilo!"

"It's alright, mija."

"Well, I better be off now! Some of the towns kids are trying to get my attention!" Sofia said, pointing towards a nearby window where there are some towns kids waving at Sofia.

"Have fun."

Sofia ran off to go talk to the towns kids.

"Sof!"

"So, kids, what type of knowledge do you seek today?" Sofia asked jokingly, in somewhat of a 'fortune teller' kind of way.

"I need help with math."

"Sure thing! What's the question?" Sofia asked.

"17•6/8+7."

"Okay, so 17 times 6 divided by 8 plus 7. Well, first you need to multiply 17 by 6. Which is 102. And then you divide by 8. And you get 12.75. And then you have to add 7, and you get 19.75. So you understand how I got that answer?" Sofia explained the problem step by step without even really thinking about it.

The kid nodded slowly. "I think so?"

"Because you have to use PEMDAS. Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition Subtraction. You always do multiplication and division in order from left to right and then do any addition and subtraction from left to right, as if you're reading a book." Sofia explained further.

"Ooo. Okay."

"Yeah, you got it!" Sofia said encouragingly.

"Thank you!"

"No problem!" Sofia said. She loved helping the children of the town.

The kid grinned widely at her.

"And remember, if you ever need any help with anything in any subject, I'm your girl!" Sofia pointed at herself with her thumb.

"I know. Thank you."

Sofia smiled at the children and made her way through the village with a little skip in each step. She felt light and airy, she was so happy.

She eventually reached the edge of the town, near the woods. Suddenly, a feeling of dread formed in her stomach. She didn't understand what it was, but she tried to ignore it as much as possible.

She walked into the woods. She walked for a little bit before she found a specific area in the woods. It seemed familiar, in a bad way. It felt... terrifying to her.