Chapter 4: Betrayal

Start from the beginning

Myne cried for a few moments before finally answering. "It happened last night, the shield hero forced his way into my room, he was stinking drunk! He grabbed me and pinned me down!" Myne said between fake sobs.

Yagi knew every single word that came out of Myne's mouth was a poisonous lie. He would never do something like that, regardless of the situation he was in. The students were shocked by this, their Sensei would never do something like that.

"He said something like, 'the night is still young' and the next thing I knew, he was tearing my clothes off!" Myne continued.

The students had conflicting emotions, one didn't believe it, another was questioning it, and another was partially believing what Myne said. They didn't want to believe that Yagi could've done it while they were asleep.

"Somehow, I managed to escape! I ran down the hall for help, and ended up here! With the king!" Myne finished.

"If she hadn't asked me to wait until dawn and call the knights, I would've gladly decapitated you myself!" The king exclaimed.

Yagi stood in silence, thinking of what to say, before the king interrupted his thinking.

"To think the cardinal shield hero would commit the greatest sin in this country. If you weren't a hero you'd be executed at once!" The king proclaimed.

"If you're so convinced Sensei did it, where's the proof, huh?!" Ren yelled.

A knight walked up to the scene. "When we performed a search of the shield hero's room, we uhm... We found this." The knight lifted a questionable piece of clothing.

"You animal! The proof seems rather undeniable!" The king said.

Yagi was barraged with a flurry of insults, each worse than the previous. But the one that hurt most, was from Motoyasu.

"Sensei... I thought better of you..." Motoyasu said. "This world isn't a consequence-free playground for you! Know your place!"

Yagi stood there, wondering why this was happening. Until he saw Myne sticking her tongue out at him. Yagi now knew why he was so suspicious of her, but that didn't explain her reasoning for doing so. Yagi once again was barraged with insults, this time he figured out this whole situation had something to do with the fact that he wielded a shield. All insults stopped when Motoyasu raised his hand.

"Your Majesty! If I may, I have something to say to the shield hero!" Motoyasu said.

"Say what you must, Sir Motoyasu!" The king replied.

Motoyasu approached Yagi slowly, with a face of disgust. The room was silent. Until Motoyasu crouched down to look at Yagi's face as he laid on the ground...

"You were right, Sensei..." Motoyasu whispered.

Motoyasu used his spear to knock back all the guards surrounding his teacher, surprising everyone at the throne room. He then got down to Yagi's level and looked him straight in the eyes.

"We can't trust anyone but ourselves!" Motoyasu shouted.

Ren and Itsuki raised their weapons, aiming them at the knights that tried to apprehend Motoyasu.

"You knew something was wrong, Sensei. And you were right, we can't turn our backs and expect them to cooperate!" Motoyasu continued.

"Besides, we know that the lying piece of crap said isn't true!" Itsuki said, aiming his bow at Myne's head.

Myne was trembling and whimpering uncontrollably, tears falling from her eyes.

"What do you inquire!? The proof is present right here!" The king protested.