Chapter Three

Chapter Three

'I was back at home, the familiar wooden walls surrounded me as the familiar scent of woodland filled my nostrils. The soft sheets on top of me hugged my body comfortably; but something felt wrong. Something was wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on what it actually was. I sat up and swung my legs off the bed before rising and letting the cold air hit my body. I looked down to see my normal armour had been replaced by some quite revealing clothing, which I instantly recognised as my sisters. Why I had them on I had no clue, but I walked out of the door of the house and straight into the middle of a battle. My sisters and mother where fighting off hoards of demons and mages, as a man floated in the air, smiling. His face had been bonded with what looked like a red form of lyrium, and he wore strange clothing that I had never seen before. I tried to join with my sisters in the fighting, but was stopped by an invisible barrier. I pounded my fists on it as the man cackled, and I watched in horror as my sisters were overwhelmed, and my mother strode round and joined the man infront of a giant dragon statue. My sisters where forced onto their knees by the mages, who all drew out long swords and held it to their necks, as I materialized my swords and started slashing at the barrier.

The man floated closer towards me, the sneer on his face showing his enjoyment.

"You cannot save them. You are weak. Useless. A coward. You should be ashamed of your self." He grinned, as his voice reverberated round the space we were in. I stared back at my sisters, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes as they looked back at me pleadingly. Suddenly, the first two mages in the line shoved two of my sisters facedown into the dirt, bringing their swords down and instantly decapitated them both as I screamed in rage and sadness. Blood poured onto the ground as their bodies twitched on the ground. Everything turned to chaos before my eyes, as the dragon statue turned to life, screeching loudly before destroying our house in a burst on crystals as it exploded into flames. Another two of my sisters were shoved to the ground, as I prepared to change. I had to save them. I couldn't let my only family die.

"You can't even save you're sisters. How pathetic. How can I call such a useless waste my daughter." My mother spat, as I slowly turned to her. This is her fault. She's the one that raised us to be her 'vessels'. She didn't even try to help them. She didn't. Even. Try. I was about to retort to her when a familiar voice interrupted me.

"She's not any of those things. She kind and always trying to help others, as well as being as strong as you ever will be." A man in a strange looking hat stepped infront of me protectively. Is that? Could it be?

"You are a fool, spirit. I shall be a God!" The man laughed, as the boy shook his head.

"Not if we stop you first." He turned to me, putting his head down so his hat shielded his face from me. "This is your nightmare. Control it, and you can get him out. Try imagining something else. Summer breezes. Colours of flowers mixed around you."

I tried, and instantly remembered one good memory from my childhood, and started saying out loud what the scene was.

"My best friend. My imaginary friend. There was trees there, and a little stream. The birds were singing..." I murmered, as the sounds of screams and battle started fazing out around me. It was then I heard the mans voice, rage showingthrough his voice.

"Fool! This is not the last you hear of Corypheus! I shall destroy yo....." And it was gone.

I looked around to see the same meadow I remembered. I could hear the stream, the birds. See the looming trees and blooming flowers around me. I thought it was just me and this boy, until a little girl came skipping along with her friend, an older boy with a weird hat and... It was the same hat as the boy infront of me. I thought I recognised him!

"Cole!" I gasped, as he looked away at the young girl and boy. I could see part of his face now, and a small smile now graced his lips.

"You should wake up now. It's not safe here."

"But.."

"You need to wake up." He repeated, as everything went black.'

I woke up suddenly, sitting up and looking around instantly for Cole, only to find the same dark room I went to sleep in. I thumped my head back on my pillow with a sigh. It was only a dream. He hadn't come back. The memory was still playing in my mind, but I couldn't get back to sleep. I seriously didn't want that nightmare again, it had scared the absolute hell out of me and I didn't want to relive the experience.

"You won't have it again. Don't be scared." A voice whispered, making me jump in shock. I sat up again and looked around. I swear it sounded like Cole!

"That's because it was." He replied, as I finally spotted him in the dark. He must have known I'd spotted him because he went invisible again, appearing next to my bed and scaring the crap out of me. I jumped, again. You would have thought I was used to it, he used to do it when I was younger, but no. I hadn't. He sat down on my bed as I shifted my legs. All of a sudden I was back to feeling like a little girl, when my best friend used to be here. His mop of blonde hair was as scraggy as ever and he had a small smile on his face. I sat up and faced him, crossing my legs under the blanket. My eyes were sore from tiredness, but I wanted to take the opportunity while it was there.

"Where did you go?" I asked quietly, as he hid his face with his hat.

"I helped people. They needed me. They were hurting." He murmured, looking down in some sort of emotion.

"I'm sorry for what my mother said. She wasn't a good person. I tried to stand up for you but..."

"I know. I saw. You were hurting. Hot tears..." He cut in, as the memories came flooding back. It hurt to remember them, so I pushed them out of my mind.

"I'm sorry for making you remember." He apolagised, as I smiled back weakly at him.

"It's fine. I'm just glad you're here. I missed you." I comforted, as he started smiling again.

"I missed you too." He replied, as I yawned widely. "You should sleep. You'll be tired for tomorrow."

I wriggled back under the sheets as he watched me carefully, the fabric warming up my cold body.

"I'm scared." I whimpered, as he put the rest of the blankets on me and tucked me in.

"I can stay if you want. You won't have any nightmares anymore." He said, as I nodded quickly for him to stay. He laid down next to me as I rested my head on his chest and curled up, just like I used to do as a child.

"Thank you." I whispered quietly, as I felt an arm wrap around me.

"It's okay." He replied, as I closed my eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep, listening to the sound of him breathing

-X-