Chapter 21: Miss You

Late that night, Adalie and the woman were sitting with Horse, Rider and Waterbaby at the river. Adalie was cleaning the sword, looking at the blade as she starts remembering Elk's blood on it and she shakes, giving it to Rider, "H-here... I can't." She covers her eyes and looks away from it, holding back tears. Horse places her hoof on the centaur's back, "It's gonna be okay. Look, as long as Keres doesn't have it or her army, she's pretty much powerless." Adalie shakes her head, "It's not that... I just...can't believe how it was even possible for a sword this powerful to be created to kill..." Horse sighs, "Well... I guess it's...just how it is." 

While they were there, the twins sneak from the back and go to the cherry tree and lay under it, still wearing their father's cloak.  They look up at the stars, tears filling their eyes and they snuggle close together. The soft breeze blew gently through the trees blossoms and leaves, and Aldara looks up, "We miss you already daddy.... are you still watching us?...." She lays next to her brother and they fall asleep until Josiah finds them and picks them both up, carrying them inside. Adalie comes back to the cottage ad places the sword in the storage closet, hiding it behind things and Josiah watches her, "What are you doing?" Adalie sighs, "It's best if it stays with us, far from Keres. As long as the sword isn't held by her or used, it's just a normal sword." He nods, and he gives her the twins, "They were under the cherry tree." She holds them, and fixes the hood of the cloak, her eyes watering, walking to the bedroom and gently lays the kids down on her bed.

She lays down next to them and falls asleep, holding the twins close to her, all three using the cloak as a blanket. After a while, there was nothing but the sound of the wind and crickets, the clock on the wall read half past midnight. Aldara wakes up and quietly climbs down to the floor and then Divoky wakes and joins her, and they sit down. They hold each other's hand and with their free hands, green smoke forms and circles into a hologram like memory of Elk sitting on the floor playing with the twins, laughter being heard and they tackle him onto his back playfully, him laughing and he holds them close.

Divoky: Hey dad?

Elk: Hm?

Aldara: You won't ever leave us right?...

*The elktaur sits up* I would never leave you or mommy. I wouldn't leave any of you for anything.

Twins: Promise?...

*He hugs them tight, smiling*

"I promise..."

The smoke clears, the twins now in tears as they remember that memory. "He promised he wouldn't leave... and that mean centaur took him away..." They cover their faces before Adalie picks them up and hugs them, giving them comfort, "Shhh it's alright... it's alright.... I miss daddy too..." She rocks them back an forth gently, and she softly begins singing their lullaby.

"Hush now... there is no need to cry...

I'm here to shelter you from the pain...

Wipe your tears away from your eyes...

Oh how it pains me to seeing you cry...

I promise that you are safe, you don't need to fear

You are alright for I am here...

Quiet and clear your tears away...

I'm here from the darkest of nights until day...

I won't ever leave your side....

It's alright, there is no need to cry...

You'll be okay, every day of the year...

You're alright...I am here..."

She kisses their foreheads, holding the twins as they drift to sleep and she lays down with them, covering them with their father's cloak as she wraps the blanket around her. She gently pulls them close to her, cradling them in the cloak and looks out the window at the stars outside, "Oh Elk... they miss you... I miss you...." A tear falls from her eye and she falls asleep, holding the twins close to her as the moon shined on the land.

.

.

.

.

.