"I wasn't aware former assassins were so concerned with proprietary," she responded dryly.

Oh, I liked this one. And she recognized me, then.

"Where's your master? I can't imagine he let you slip the leash," I goaded.

The guard pointed toward the tunnel closest behind her, full of bright, open air. "Come with me."

I chuckled, "Now, now, it's a little early in our courtship to be wandering down abandoned tunnels. You'll have to do better than that."

The woman stepped closer, the moonlight illuminating her hooded face. She was pretty, if a tad serious, and perhaps two or three years older than myself.

She huffed out an exasperated breath, "I'm on scouting duty. Luckily for you, I recognized you. Usually, we have a strike-first, ask-questions-later policy."

I wanted to laugh at the insinuation she could have gotten the drop on me. But we ... that was intriguing. I had scented a surprising amount of people down here - to learn Chaol may be associated with them?

Turning on her heel, the woman began walking down the tunnel, completely unconcerned with the threat I posed at her back. Arrogant and stupid - I knew I liked her.

She called over her shoulder, "You can come with me, Champion, and learn some things you probably want to know, or stay here and see what answers the tunnel provides."

Shrugging, I sheath the knives at my thighs and fall into step with the guard. As we strode down the tunnels, I turned my head slightly towards her, "How'd you recognize me?"

"I've seen you around - months ago. The red hair was why I didn't immediately identify you at the Vaults."

A guard, I surmised, watching her from the corner of my eye. They were the only ones who could have known I was both Champion and assassin. The question was, what was she doing down here, and at the Vaults? It seemed unlikely that either were a part of her official duties.

We traversed the sewers, turn after turn, until we approached the entrance to another long tunnel with that same unnatural darkness drifting from the far end. I cataloged the area automatically, predatory unease slithering up my spine as the scents hit me.

"Here," the stranger said, approaching an elevated stone walkway, exposing her back. She really was a fool. Oh well, time for answers.

I slipped up behind her, our bodies flush, and pressed a blade against her throat.

"You get one sentence," I breathed in her ear. "One sentence to convince me not to spill your throat on the ground."

Thankfully, the woman wasn't quite stupid enough to go for one of the weapons at her side. She swallowed, throat bobbing against the dagger. "I'm taking you to the captain."

I dug the knife in a bit more. "Not that compelling when I can tell there's more than one person past that door. I'm gonna need more than that."

"Three weeks ago, he abandoned his position at the castle and fled. To join our cause. The rebel cause."

Well, shit.

I certainly hadn't seen that coming.

To be completely honest, I'd mostly forgotten about the so-called rebel cause. Which made this a bit awkward, especially considering they might be holding a grudge from when I'd gutted one of their own and attacked several more.

But if Chaol had abandoned the castle ...

"And the prince?" I demanded.

"Alive, but still at the castle," the rebel hissed. "Can you put the knife down now?"