Chapter 64

~Esther~

"What do you think of this one?" I showed Ash the picture of a Chevy Impala someone was selling for only fifteen hundred dollars. "It looks reliable, don't you think?"

He glanced at the picture before looking back at the road. I had convinced him to take me to Fiction Worlds after almost an hour of begging. He had said he wanted to stay at home and watch a movie but I told him we did that all the time.

Now that I had won we were on our way to the bookstore while I looked at cars to buy once I got a job – which I was still working on. I had applied to a few places a few days ago although none of them had gotten back to me.

"There's pieces of wood behind every tire in that picture." He pointed out. I looked back at the picture, now seeing them.

"So, no?" I asked, not knowing what's wrong with having blocks behind the tires.

He chuckled. "No, darling. The wood behind the tires means they're trying to keep it in the same spot, meaning it probably doesn't run."

I looked at the description, seeing the person said it runs fine. "They say it runs, though."

"They're lying." He glanced over at me for a second. "Why are you looking at cars anyway?"

I turned off my phone, finally giving up. Ash had pointed out something wrong with all of the ones I showed him and the first one was just because he didn't like it. "I hate making you drive me places when I can drive perfectly fine."

"Mae, I don't mind driving you places and if you want to you can always take my car, you have a driver's license, you know."

"I know, but I really don't trust myself to drive a car this nice." I gestured to the pristine leather seats and how there wasn't a single speck of dirt anywhere. The exterior of the car was exactly the same, somehow it didn't have a speck of dirt on it even though it was driven almost every day.

"I don't care about my car, darling." He smiled at me. "I couldn't care less if you wrecked the damn thing, as long as you didn't get a scratch on you."

I smiled and shook my head. "That's exactly why I don't want to drive it, I'd feel bad if I wrecked it." I continued before he could interrupt me. "Plus I want a car I can call my own."

I saw a little smirk play on his lips before he quickly masked it. "What's your dream car?"

I hesitated for a second before answering. "An old square-body Chevy truck."

I looked away from Ash as the car slowed down, seeing we had already made it to the bookstore. He found a parking spot and pulled in before turning off the car and getting out, walking around the front of the car to open my door for me.

I stepped out and linked our hands together as he shut the door. We walked toward the bookstore and Ash opened the door for me, letting me walk in first. As I walked in I realized – thankfully – Brynn wasn't working today, another lady who's name was something like Drew was standing behind the counter today.

Drew was a middle aged lady with thin brown hair and brown eyes. She was nice although I hadn't talked to her much, it was mostly just when I was checking out.

I dragged Ash into my second favorite section; fantasy. The only genre that topped fantasy was romance, of course. As I looked through the books someone else walked into the aisle and passed in front of me. When she passed I caught a glance of her red hair that looked almost exactly the same as Brynn's, making me do a double take.

The girl, who I could only see the back of, looked exactly like Brynn except for her clothes. Anytime I saw Brynn she was in some sort of crop top and jeans, or an outfit like it. The girl looking through the bookshelf was wearing an oversized gray t-shirt and black sweatpants.