Chapter 5

◊Y/f/b—your favorite band

Y/f/b—your favorite band

Steve storms down the hallways of Avengers Tower, muttering things incoherently. The twins, Steve and I step into the lab where Dr. Banner and Mr. Stark are already working on a new bot.

"I'm gonna say this once." Steve puts his foot down.

"How about 'nonce'?" Mr. Stark asks.

"Shut it down!"

"Nope, not gonna happen."

"You don't know what you're doing."

"And you do?" Dr. Banner asks. "She's not in your head?" He points at Wanda.

Wanda steps out from behind Steve. "I know you're angry."

"Oh, we're way past that. I could choke the life out of you and never change a shade."

Steve starts approaching him. "Banner, after everything that's happened—"

"That's nothing compared to what's coming!" Stark argues.

"You don't know what's in there!" Wanda shouts.

Everyone starts fighting. Pietro uses his super speed to unplug the hoses and wires that were hooked up to the Cradle. "No, no. Go on. You were saying?" He asks.

There's a gun shot and the glass floor Pietro is standing on shatters. He falls through and lands on his back on the level below.

"Pietro!" Wanda shouts. The two of us run over and look down where he fell through.

Clint puts his foot on Pietro's chest, holding him down. "What? You didn't see that coming?"

Some computers start blinking and beeping. "I'm rerouting the upload," Mr. Stark says.

I walk over to him. "Mr. Stark, please. You need to stop and think for a moment."

"Sorry, kid, but this needs to be done."

Cap throws his shield around the room. Mr. Stark shoots it down with a blast from his iron glove before it can do any more damage to his equipment. Mr. Stark shoots Steve with his repulsor. Wanda readies her energy balls, but Bruce puts her in a choke hold. "Go ahead, piss me off."

I tackle him, making him release Wanda. Mr. Stark and Steve fight. Thor breaks in and jumps on top of the Cradle. He raises Mjölnir high into the air, causing lightning to arc down. He swings his hammer down and the lightning hits the Cradle. We all watch in shock. Lightning courses through the Cradle, arcing across the metal surface in ferocious hisses of electricity. The energy from the lightning is enough to power the body within.

The lightning finally stops and the Cradle blasts open, sending Thor flying off the top of it. I crouch down to take cover from the flying debris. A red humanoid leaps out and slowly rises, looking at us curiously. Then he launches himself at Thor.