Our stories are all complicated. We have jobs, we have enough money for rent, and we have each other.

We will be okay.

~

Marvin finally sits up and rubs his eyes. He looks around, beckons for me. I am standing against the wall now. I do not move.

He flops back down, wincing. His back is covered in cuts.

We have all been hurt.

Charlotte's arm is missing itself; there is a chunk taken out of it, it is wrapped in the same bandage wraps as Cordelia' thigh. Trina and Mendel were affected the least. They have cuts, scratches, and bruises. They will be fine. Marvin and I both have limps as well; my ankle is sprained, we don't really know what happened to Marvin.

The baby got dropped on his face.

"We can't watch tv until we cover the windows completely. Layers of metal." Mendel doesn't talk often. He is learning. He does not defy his girlfriend, he only explains.

He is scared of her.

She is stern, a cold look is always plastered across her face. Trina does not smile, her eyes are lifeless.

She is kind to the baby and the baby only.

~

Trina's auburn hair is pulled back into a ponytail. She is shirtless, her grey tank top is draped over her shoulder. Trina is clad in a bra, maroon sweatpants, and socks. She has mascara and red, red lips.

Even in the state of the world, and the stress of a newborn, she stays beautiful, Trina is a fallen angel, I think.

Mendel's hair is uncouth, it has grown. It's made up of ring-like brown curls. It is to his chin, it barely drapes over his eyebrows. He is thin. He dresses in sweaters and jeans or sweats. Mendel is a wreck.

Cordelia has sandy blonde curls. Her bangs are much longer now. She clips them to the side. She wears yoga pants and big shirts. Sometimes she wears no pants and wears big shirts. Those days are the days when you can see thin red lines across her thighs. She cuts. They snake up her wrists, as well. She does not care what we think. She does small eyeliner and wears lipgloss. The girls of this house like to stay pretty when death is near.

Charlotte wears thin, baggy, off the shoulder shirts and shorts. Reds, pinks, lilacs. It compliments her skin nicely. Charlotte is beautiful. She has brown hair, it is always in a bun. Charlotte is kind. Charlotte is sassy. Charlotte is seventeen and knows how to take care of us.

Marvin. I am in love with Marvin. He has short, wavy hair. It is like Mendel's. I lied. He does not have short hair. Marvin's hair just barely scrapes his shoulders. He wears hoodies and t-shirts and sweats. He has nice, icy blue eyes that could kill. His eyes have cast a spell on me and I will not be released from that spell. Never ever. I am the victim of all of his spells. Marvin is cruel and he is sweet and I love him.

I have brown hair. It is not short. It is not long. My hair is the length I want it. I am content with my hair. I wear sweats and t-shirts.

None of us dress nicely. We stay comfortable and keep shoes in arms reach.

~

We are trapped in our basement. The tv is big. The couch is big. There are four rooms. Two doors across from each other.

Three are bedrooms.

One is the bathroom.

I look around the room at these people. Two months ago they were merely people I went to school with and ate lunch with and one of them fucked sometimes.