Chapter 22

Heaven can be mirrored in a simple phrase.

Twenty-two

I stood at the kitchen sink, scrubbing a frying pan I had just used to cook pork chops for dinner. I expected Hayden to come through the door at any minute, and because of feeling sick earlier in the day, I had fallen behind. But I did manage to have dinner ready on time.

I smiled as I thought about my handsome husband. He made the past two months the happiest of my life. I never dreamed marriage could bring such contentment, but I guess being married to someone I loved with all my heart and soul helped.

Drying the frying pan, I stood for a moment and thought about my life. Compared to the past, my life now was a simple one. There were no modeling jobs to run off to, no hair or nail appointments, and no business lunches with perspective clients.

Instead, I got up each morning and made breakfast for Hayden. I took care of his house, made his lunch, did his laundry, cooked his dinner, and anything else I could do to make him happy and be the best wife I could be to him. The reward for my efforts could not be put into words, because every time he came through that door and took me in his arms and said,  “I've missed you, baby,” my world was perfect.

I again smiled as I pressed a hand against my flat stomach. I had news for Hayden that would not only change our life, it would complete it. I longed to share the news with Mama as well, but I needed to tell my husband first. And oh, how excited Mama would be when she found out!

I gazed out the window across the rolling acres of green as memories of Mama's visit three weeks before filled my mind. It had been so good to see her. I smiled as I remembered her hugging Hayden first thing and telling him how grateful she was to him for marrying me and making me so happy. He told her it was the other way around. Mama had grinned widely when Hayden told her that he could see where I got my beauty. She told him he was quite the charmer and I agreed completely.

Hayden decided that he couldn't call Mama Hannah,  her first name, because it would be too impolite, so he started calling her Mama, which suited her fine.

I chuckled as I remembered Mama telling Hayden how good looking he was. He had grinned widely, then leaned down and kissed her cheek, whispering loud enough for me to hear, “I think that's why your daughter fell for me. Of course, I did have my shirt off the first time she met me, which probably helped.”

I immediately gasped, embarrassed. He only grinned and pulled me close.

Mama laughed and said, “Well, she definitely must have liked what she saw. And anybody that can bring an unseen blush to Raine's cheeks the way you just did must be doing something right.”

“I do my best,” Hayden had replied with a chuckle.

We gave Mama a tour of the fair town of Roswell and showed her some sights. And she hooted with laughter even more than I did when we took her to the UFO Museum.

Caroline and David loved seeing Mama again and we all had dinner a couple of times at their house. And while the men worked during the day, Caroline and I took Mama around the ranch and showed her what we did there. All in all, it had been a wonderful and memorable visit. She promised me before she left that she would come again.

The only dark spot to mar an otherwise perfect two months was the delivery of a wedding gift from Jerome, a so-called peace offering. The gift itself would have been very nice if not for the meaning behind it. The gift, a gold-plated place setting for four, was accompanied by a card in which Jerome congratulated us and casually remarked that he wouldn't want me to miss out on the good things in life, so he sent the place setting to remind me of the life I gave up. He also bragged in the card that he was now dating the model who was the new face of Ebersole.

And what was Hayden's response to receiving the gift? He burned the card and gave the place setting away. So, that took care of that.

Pulling my thoughts to the present, I watched a hummingbird as it fluttered near and drank the sweet nectar in the bird feeder Hayden had hung from a hook by the window. I don't know why, but in that moment I suddenly began to wonder if my life was too perfect. Things were so blissful that I suddenly felt sure there was a trial right around the corner. Not that we hadn't had our share of trials before, nor was I looking for trouble. It was just a feeling. I found myself praying it wouldn't be anything major.

This is silly, I mused. You have a wonderful life, girl, so don't go looking for trouble. What's with this sudden bout of paranoia anyway? I shook my head and smiled.

I started taking some dishes down from the cupboard when I heard the front door open and I immediately felt butterflies in my stomach. In the next instant, Hayden's warm arms came around me and he pressed a soft kiss against the side of my neck. I closed my eyes and snuggled deeper in his embrace.

“I've, missed you, baby,” he said, pressing his lips to my ear and I sighed.

“I've missed you too.” I turned to face him and he leaned down, giving me a proper greeting.

“Mmmm,” I murmured. “I've been waiting all day for that.”

“And I've been waiting all day to do it.”

“Why don't you go on and shower and I'll get dinner on the table.”

“All right. Be back in a few.” He kissed me again and headed to the bedroom.

While Hayden showered, I placed the food on the table and set it for two. I paused in my actions and thought with joy how wonderful it would one day be to be able to set three, four, even five more places at the table.

I took a pitcher of lemonade from the refrigerator and placed it on the table as well. Then I sat down and waited for Hayden. He came in a few minutes later, freshly showered, wearing clean jeans, and of course, shirtless and barefoot. I couldn't help thinking that he had to be the most irresistible man in the world.

“How was your day?” he asked as he sat down and pulled me close for another kiss.

“It's been good. Of course, it's always better when you come home.”

He grinned. “It's the best time of the day for me, too.”

I passed the plate of pork chops and he speared one and put it on his plate.

“I did get the flowers planted. The pots are on the deck.”

“That's good, darlin'. I'll have to go out and take a look.”

“It really did give me a feeling of accomplishment, especially since I have never planted anything before. I was always too busy to take care of plants. For me, silk flowers have always been the way to go. No way I can kill them.”

He chuckled. “Well, I have faith that you'll keep these alive.”

“I hope so. Caroline has a green thumb when it comes to gardening. Maybe it will rub off on me a little.”

“You do well at everything you set your mind to.”

“This is true,” I said with a coy smile. “I got you, didn't I?”

“That you did, darlin',” he answered, his eyes full of love.

“And,” I said, my voice softening and my insides bursting with happiness, “I have your baby growing inside me.”

The fork in Hayden's hand stopped in the air midway to his mouth. He put it back on his plate as his eyes widened in wonder. “You're pregnant?” He grinned. “Really?”

I nodded, smiling. “Really.”

He pulled me from my chair and onto his lap, and wrapping me in his arms, he pressed his face against my neck. “Raine,” he breathed. “Oh, Raine. You've made me a happy man.” He touched my face and moved his hand to my stomach, holding it there. “My baby,” he whispered.

I pressed a hand to his face and kissed him warmly. “I love you.”

“I love you.” He kissed me another moment before standing and lifting me in his arms. “Dinner can wait.”

I smiled, warmed by the desire burning in his gray eyes.