Chapter 15

Absence makes the heart grow stronger.

Fifteen

I didn't see Hayden again that day, nor did I see him the next. He didn't come to David and Caroline's for meals and I hadn't caught a glimpse of his presence anywhere. I couldn't help wondering if it was for his benefit or mine that he'd made himself scarce. Probably both. In a way it was good because I needed the space. On the other hand, I missed him with a painful intensity that made my heart ache beyond measure.

I didn't wander out on the ranch that day as I normally did. I stayed inside and tried to keep busy by helping Caroline with the usual housework. Then I faced the hard task of putting my wedding things away without ruining my dress with my endless tears, and calling Mama. I didn't tell her the wedding was off, just postponed. I hadn't yet made up my mind what I would do.

Again, Mama didn't throw out a bunch of questions at me. She knew me well enough to know I was thinking things through. However, she did give me one piece of advice, which I took as heaven sent. It's the only explanation I could come up with, because she had no clue what was going on with us, yet she knew exactly what to say.

Her advice? “If you really love him, then do what you can to work it out. You two have been, and still are, in the process of merging two different worlds. The odds are stacked against you as it is. They always were. Don't let fear keep you apart. Just do what you can to work it out.” And that was it.

~ ~ ~

On Saturday, the day Hayden and I were supposed to be married, I worked myself ragged, doing any and everything I could possibly do to keep him off my mind. By noon, I was so tired, I skipped lunch and took a long nap.

It was while I was napping that Hayden made a quick stop to say he would be gone for a few days.

“He's going down to Houston for a few days,” Caroline told me when I came down that afternoon. “He said he's going to take care of some business.” She sounded angry. ”Funny, he couldn't tell me what that business was. When I asked him he just shrugged his shoulders and turned to leave.”

“What did you say” I asked, wishing I had been down when he stopped by. Just to see him again would have been enough for me right now.

“What did I say? I told him he was being a stubborn jackass.” When I gasped, she added, “Then I told him to hurry back and get this settled.”

I smiled tearfully, grateful for Caroline's friendship. And if it wasn't for David coming in at that moment, I probably would have burst into tears all over again.

“Oh, there you are, sleeping beauty,” he said, giving me a hug and kissing Caroline's cheek. “Tom said to ask you if you wanted to take Ol' Red out for a ride. He's getting lazy and needs some exercise.”

“I'd love to,” I said, feeling a little brighter. I loved riding Ol' Red. He was my favorite of all the horses, and I figured going for a ride and thinking about Hayden would be a lot better than sitting around the house thinking about him.

I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, excused myself, and headed down to the stable. By the time I got there, Tom had Ol' Red saddled outside and ready to go.

“How are you today, boy?” I said softly as I caressed the horse's silky mane.

“He's been missing you,” Tom said, giving me a sympathetic smile.

“Well, I'm glad someone misses me,” I mumbled as Tom helped me up in the saddle.

“Oh, I'm sure somebody else is missing you now, too.” He grinned. “Only he's too stubborn and pig headed to see it right now. But don't you worry none. A body can only go without food and water for so long before it gives out.”

I suddenly found myself grinning back at the older man. “Are you saying I'm food and water?”

“Shoot, sugar, you're that boy's all you can eat and drink buffet.”

I laughed, genuinely laughed for the first time in days. “Thanks, Tom. I really needed that.”

“Any time,” he replied before going back into the stable.

From the corner of my eye I saw Chris enter. He approached me with his hands in his pockets. “Want some company?” he asked, rubbing the horse's nose.

“No, thanks. I'm just going to ride a bit and clear my head.”

He smiled. “You sure you really want to be alone?” He playfully brushed off his shoulder. “I got a good one to lean on if you need to.”

Yeah, right, buddy. “Thanks, but I'll be fine.”

“Hey, Chris,” Tom called as Chris started to move closer. “Ken needs your help with the shoeing.”

Giving a smile of gratitude to Tom, I quickly took Ol' Red's reins and headed out.