The Underground

Beginne am Anfang

And here I am wearing my bridesmaid dress from my sister's wedding.

I'm like a naked eye sore.

I think this is what my therapist meant by negative talk.

I make my way to the bar that has been set up.

It's huge, set up in a perfect square with bar stools around all of it.

Lucky for me, there's a spot open. I quickly make my way to it and sit down.

"Vodka, straight" I say to the man behind the bar. Even the bar tenders are dressed to extravagance.

Without a question, 3 shots are placed in front of me.

God knows I'm going to need it. I take one of them, drowning it.

I quickly do the same with the second, I go to grab the third but before I can, someone takes it.

"Hey" I turn to the one who took it, he smiles and takes the stool next to me.

"Don't 'Hey' me, darling. You aren't paying for it" He said, a grin on his face.

Men.

He waves at the one of the bar tenders and more shots are put in front of me.

"See, no need for the fuss" He takes one of them and easily takes it.

I look over him a bit more after he's settled next to me.

Half his face is covered by a stunning gold and black mask.

But his eyes are perfectly visible.

They are bright green and I can see the glittery eyeshadow around his eyes, his lips are also painted in a clear sparkly gloss.

I complain about men a lot, but Jesus, some of them are gorgeous.

"Do I have something on my face, Darling?" He smiles at the stupid joke he makes.

I can feel the warmth of the vodka in my blood and I laugh.

He orders a cocktail for each of us.

"How are you enjoying the party, Love?" He stirs the drink and looks over me.

"It's quite stunning really, I just got here so, drinks and then some fun"

He smiles and continues to stir his drink.

"Funny, the doors closed a little over an hour ago"

I choke a little on the drink and set it down. Trying to keep my cool.

Am I that obvious that I don't belong here?

"What's your name, sweetheart?" He asks, he takes a sip from his drink and sets it down. His eyes not leaving me for a second.

I freeze for a moment, I definitely shouldn't use my real name.

"E-Emma" I stumble on it a little bit.

He looks down at his drink, his fingers playing with the toothpick in the glass.

I glance over the fancy rings he's wearing and then quickly look at him.

His little smile turns into a smirk.

"Alright, Emma" The emphasis on Emma makes my skin crawl.

How he knows, I have no idea.

God, I hope Jess is okay.

"It may seem like a lot of people, but it really isn't. You should see the parties in Rome" He takes one of the shots and dumps it into his cocktail.